Home Q & A Forum
Options

1996-P circulated quarter with “cud” or die error

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 17, 2020 10:13PM in Q & A Forum

Not sure what I am seeing here but it looks strange to me. Any thoughts? I have not found any noted varieties except spitting quarter. I do see other small specs but running behind AmeRICa on reverse is first for me

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a die break, but, might also be a die clash since it looks like some “texture” is present.

http://www.maddieclashes.com/

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Hemispherical

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very unusual mark. It is not a clash mark. Looks like something hit the die as it is under the letters. The mark in the "C" is more interesting. That appears to be under the letter also. Take it to that coin dealer you wrote about.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    That's a very unusual mark. It is not a clash mark. Looks like something hit the die as it is under the letters. The mark in the "C" is more interesting. That appears to be under the letter also. Take it to that coin dealer you wrote about.

Thanks I will indeed. Just thought it to be different then what we typically see.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited January 18, 2020 9:26AM

@Hemispherical said:
    Could be a die break, but, might also be a die clash since it looks like some “texture” is present.

Agree. It also looks like the texture of the wings/ breast like it was shaved off another stuck around dropped on blank as this coin was pressed

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

Thank you for the link I added it to my reading list. Thank you thank you thank you💕😎

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting....

• Options
    edited January 20, 2020 8:16AM

Reviewed and sent to be conformed. Will let you know conclusion when returned.

Thanks for the advice @Insider2

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like die gouges or die damage to me. ;)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks one is a die gouge and the other a strike thru wire. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I'm going to post images of this coin along with my opinion about this mystery coin. There should be others like it waiting to be found.

• Options

Let me know. I got a job start next Monday it’s a small office I will manage HR Payroll budgets financial forecast. A lot of Financial reporting with a mix of Fully charge Bookkeeping. 10 minute drive from house with traffic. Doing pee cup and background this week

Kathy.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you get the job. Nice find on that quarter. I'm wondering if it could be a trifecta of gouge, strike thru and clash. That would be cool. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I have the coin in hand. This is an interesting coin. I've seen similar marks but never gave them much thought. I'm posting undeniable facts. Then a description of what we see so someone can crack this "nut." Here are undeniable facts.

The obverse and edge of this 1996-P quarter are normal. The coin appears to be a scruffy Unc - lightly circulated but no "real" loss of luster (friction wear) to the eye. There are several mint made defects on the reverse. IMO (30X) they were NOT on the original planchet but were caused by damage to the reverse die. All marks are in the same basic diagonal direction.

This is possibly the easiest to explain"

You may have to go back to the OP to see this characteristic in other orientations to the light. It is raised and wide otward the rim. Something hit the die. Delaminated piece of scrap from another coin? That would explain it's stretched triangular shape.

Marks continue in the same diagonal direction from the eagle's wing and neck. These marks have "chatter" as if a tool was pushed, stopped, and pushed again.

A 40X image of one of these marks from a leaf at the lower reverse shows a raised blob with a depression next to it. Metal flow in the depression is visible.

This is the most unusual mark. It goes under the "C" and is a groove with one raised edge. To make this one, the mark on the die had to be raised! Perhaps. when the die was damaged, a large raised lip was pushed up (as the little blob above). Then the die would have a high raised projection and a small incuse lip. This is the most unusual mark.

Can someone explain it?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lipped mark indentation in the C is a piece of microscopic tooling during die prep? Looks similar, but much smaller and ~90 shift in orientation to each other, to the indentation to the right of the A.

A wag.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    The lipped mark indentation in the C is a piece of microscopic tooling during die prep? Looks similar, but much smaller and ~90 shift in orientation to each other, to the indentation to the right of the A.

A wag.

LOL, WAG's are for "kids." B) This is serious. :p By the time these dies were being made it was EXTREMELY RARE to find one with tool marks such as these. Of course. ANYTHING is possible. Thanks for your guess!

I'm going to move this on to the US forum this week. It should get very interesting.