Home Sports Talk
Options

Would you have kept the money?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Howard Kirby got the surprise of his life last month when he found over $43,000 in cash inside a couch he'd purchased at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Owosso, Michigan.

Kirby purchased the couch to outfit his man cave but said the ottoman felt odd and uncomfortable. His daughter eventually unzipped the cushion to examine it further and discovered stacks of hundred-dollar bills."
https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-man-discovers-cash-in-couch

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have kept the money, but would have been generous enough to PayPal everyone here 5 bucks to share in the joy.

I didn't read the article, but i would imagine that money probably has at least a sprinkling of cocaine residue on it. LOL

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 11:00PM

You're damn skippy I'd keep it.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d have a nice early Mantle in a jiffy

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have given most of it to charity. And tiffany and sapphire and amber.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's the part of the story that tells us the daughter gave the guy a nice finder's fee?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2020 8:27AM

I would Keep it without question if it was bought at a store, personal sale might be different. I will say this though if I was returned any amount of money found in something I sold I would absolutely give the person half, hopefully this guy got something for being so honest

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I would Keep it without question if it was bought at a store, personal sale might be different. I will say this though if I was returned any amount of money found in something I sold I would absolutely give the person half, hopefully this guy got something for being so honest

That's not in the story. I would think he would have gotten something. If she didn't give him some, her good fortune will turn bad. Not good karma.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Most would keep the money and of course there would be no story to tell.

I have found locatable money half a dozen times and have returned it. Lost my wallet once with a hundred bucks and it was returned without the cash. Glad to have the CC and id back as that is worth more than the cash.

Some see the found money as a gift others see it as an obligation to do the right thing.

• Options
    nickelsciolistnickelsciolist Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2020 8:54AM

Good question. Honestly my first impulse would be to try to find who gave the money couch to Habitat. But very likely, they had no idea it was there, and who knows how many owners back the money was put in there? So the way this breaks for me is: Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful organization that helps people in need, and I would feel responsible to give them most of the money. I wouldn't feel good about keeping all of it. But I would definitely pay myself a healthy "finders fee" and at least take a nice vacation for my wife and I with some of it!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep the money and maybe complain about why couldn't there be at least 50k in there?

;)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have tried to find the rightful owner. If not found I would give about a third to the folks who sold it to me. The rest I would give to deserving charities. Ouch. My nose just smashed against the monitor.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only would I keep it, I would roll around in it first!