Home U.S. Coin Forum

Let me know your thoughts on this toned peace dollar

After reading a few posts on the subject of toned peace dollars, I’m wondering about this specimen

Comments

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I'm no expert on toning, but I like the coin.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything wrong with the coin! I like it! :)

Ken
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse has some very vivid color action going on but it balances out with the obverse.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks NT to my eye. I like it more than the vast majority of toned Peace dollars I've seen.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t be surprised if it had a little bit of help but the colors look pretty good to me. It is certainly more vivid than most I’ve seen. Certainly market acceptable.

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sequence and green looks ok to me.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. It's a keeper.

When in doubt, don't.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's outstanding!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the gold, brown, and blue color progression. A long time ago I would have had no problem with the coin, but after seeing blatantly ATed coins with similar progressions, I lean towards AT but MA.

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT in my eyes.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that its MA but not a look that I would expect to find on a Peace so it seems unnatural imo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT

Many happy BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your coin....looks OK to me.

Here's my wildly toned 1922-D AU50 Peace $1 for comparison.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/03970158

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go against the grain and suggest that if I saw this coin I would think AT based simply from the image in the OP.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty prominent colors. I won’t comment on wether it is AT or not but I’ll say it looks good :) A coin if it were my series I would snatch up

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks possibly MA but AT to me.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

While such color might be deemed natural on some classic silver type coins, I’d be very surprised if it’s considered the same on a Peace Dollar. I realize that sounds inconsistent, but I think it’s the general perception.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strong rainbow toning.........very nice!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty, but Id lean the AT way too.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    I like your coin....looks OK to me.

Here's my wildly toned 1922-D AU50 Peace $1 for comparison.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/03970158

Like yours too!!

Ken
  • Collect4funCollect4fun Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

Are there reliable ways to analyze the toning? It straight graded by our hosts. That probably doesn’t confirm it’s natural but only market acceptable.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 7:03PM

Looks like it may have spent a lot of years sitting in an old blue Whitman album in a damp environment. Sulfur leaching. Not a bad looking toned coin.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it to be AT and market acceptable.

Did you purchase this coin from Edynamic by any chance?

OINK

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the nicest Peace dollars I've seen.

If they can start reproducing that type of green it is pretty scary then IMHO

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Pretty, but Id lean the AT way too.

AT maybe, but at least it's got to be 100% market acceptable.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Color is no issue, pretty look, scruffy 62+

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ike126 said:

It's part of the reason I dumped my toners. There is so much sketchy material in graded holders IMHO that it will likely start affecting the market except for the 100% unquestionably toned bag pieces.

• oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭

It is a pretty coin. Hopefully as it ages it will stay that way.

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

No, I don’t know about Edynamic. @cameonut2011, I can understand that strategy.
    Seems like AT coins shouldn’t be straight graded even if market acceptable. I’m sure it’s a tough area for TPGs as well. It’s a judgement call and on any given day it might go either way.

@rainbowroosie said:
    Color is no issue, pretty look, scruffy 62+

I think the coin looks too nice (by a point or more) for that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no toning expert, so maybe someone can validate or explain the double? color progression on the reverse to me? Is that very common?

The color goes from yellow/gold to copper to blue... then repeats?? the yellow/gold to copper to blue. That seems odd to me. Otherwise a pretty coin, and if it is AT then obviously market acceptable.

----- kj
  • CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@Collect4fun said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

No, I don’t know about Edynamic. @cameonut2011, I can understand that strategy.
    Seems like AT coins shouldn’t be straight graded even if market acceptable. I’m sure it’s a tough area for TPGs as well. It’s a judgement call and on any given day it might go either way.

I have and I've bought from mother_natur too. Great selection of "Make it yourself" toners. A lot of gaudy
    colors at high prices, must be selling well for so many listings. It's apparent the top TPG are letting droves of AT
    material into the market place. No longer do I see AT or "Questionable Toning" on the labels.

All said, nice Peace, looks ms65 with lots of luster.

Thinking about this topic, I recalled a section in Bower’s “A Guidebook of Morgan Silver Dollars.” I know we’re talking about peace dollars, but toning is probably a spectrum. Maybe intentional versus unintentional toning outside of the Mint bag is useful here. If you consider the hypothesis

@CCGGG said:
    Looks like it may have spent a lot of years sitting in an old blue Whitman album in a damp environment. Sulfur leaching. Not a bad looking toned coin.

The coin may have been unintentionally stored in a less than ideal environment. Maybe it underwent periods of variable moisture or temperature in an album. I’ve seen several Morgan’s with album toning that market makers approve of even though it may be on the spectrum of artificial toning from storage in albums with sulfur containing cardboard.
    I’m not sure why Peace Dollars don’t show the album toning like Morgan’s. Maybe it’s the composition of the planchet, Popularity of collecting Peace Dollars in albums or something else.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Mark,
    Maybe I was harsh. Bump a grade for overall look.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering you couldn’t find a toned Peace dollar with a flashlight and a catcher’s mitt five years ago, I don’t trust any of them.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely had some help but I like it and it will sell.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know one thing for sure ... I like the coin.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone could intentionally do that there would be a helluva lot more just like it. I like it. Peace dollar can sit in an album just as easy as anything else. If you tell us it's AT then I will state now I'm a numismatic dumb ass.

edited January 18, 2020 5:36AM

@santinidollar said:
    Considering you couldn’t find a toned Peace dollar with a flashlight and a catcher’s mitt five years ago, I don’t trust any of them.

You need to get out more and/or get some new batteries for your flashlight. There were plenty of toned Peace dollars around five years ago, as well as long before that.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Collect4fun said:
    Are there reliable ways to analyze the toning? It straight graded by our hosts. That probably doesn’t confirm it’s natural but only market acceptable.

NO. And there are no reliable experts either. It is always just an opinion based on the "look".

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    If someone could intentionally do that there would be a helluva lot more just like it. I like it. Peace dollar can sit in an album just as easy as anything else. If you tell us it's AT then I will state now I'm a numismatic dumb ass.

Album toning should probably be classified as AT.

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

If the effects from a product made for storage and preservation of coins should be classified as AT, shouldn’t all toning be classified as AT? Please note, neither of those is my position.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

AT is accelerated toning by numerous means meant to deceive and add value. Coins placed in album 70 years ago to display a collection not only with no intention to deceive but the long term results were not know. Sometimes turns black, sometimes beautiful. This is a NT process.

@cameonut2011 said:

@ike126 said:

It's part of the reason I dumped my toners. There is so much sketchy material in graded holders IMHO that it will likely start affecting the market except for the 100% unquestionably toned bag pieces.

I haven't dumped my personal toners just yet. In the recent years at local shows ive seen the request for toned coins fade away sharply. I do hear some dealers say this will sell on social media etc. It's a shame a lot of people i knew vanished from the face of the planet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file