Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

WTB Canada Large Cent Album

While not a core area for me, my cent collection finally deserves to be upgraded from its 1950s Whitman folder. I'm looking for something like a Dansco or Whitman Bookshelf album (or other equivalent maker) with plastic slides in nice condition. Please PM if you have something that may work.

Thanks!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

will check my big empty Can coin albums later. chance is very good to find.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

thanks!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one of those brown ones with the plastic pages with pockets in them. Someone told me they weren't safe for copper though and scared me away from it

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up one of these last summer. It's a bit stiff when 1st starting out but loosens up later. So far I like it.

https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/vista-canada-albums.html

The brown Guardmaster Album that @bronco2078 mentioned is still available. I had one several years ago. The pockets turned green from copper - later learned due to PVC. Also UNC cents did not fit (too tight). I do not know if they corrected these issues.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thanks for the comments and I appreciate how quickly everyone weighted in with useful info. Amazing that some of these are still made with PVC after its effects on AE coins is so well known. Altho mine is just an "ordinary" collection, even after being stored in the Whitman folder for decades without anything bad happening that i can see, I'd rather leave it be than risk damage for an album that would would put the coins at risk.

Altho more expensive, the quality of the lighthouse (or leuchturn) products is well known so one of these may be a good home and may motivate me to upgrade a few of the pieces. The album with dates seems to be out of stock at most places I've looked, but I'm in no hurry at this point.

What fun.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just checked my album box.
    But sorry, NO large cent album as you wish to have it.
    Have dollars, 50 cts and 10 cent.
    good luck with your search
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2020 5:09PM

Thanks for looking, I appreciate the effort and quick followup. Since its not a core collection - and since they've been safe in the blue folder for more than a third of a century - I can be patient for one to come along that I like.

Have a great weekend.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Check out this contact. I used him several years ago for many Darkside folders, but he also carries a huge assortment of folders, albums, etc, both new & very-well-priced used! Best of luck! -- Dave

Randy Miller
    Chief Coin and Supply CO.
    PO Box 254
    Oshkosh, WI 54903-0254
    Phone (920)-231-6161
    FAX (920)-231-6122

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:
    I picked up one of these last summer. It's a bit stiff when 1st starting out but loosens up later. So far I like it.

https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/vista-canada-albums.html

The brown Guardmaster Album that @bronco2078 mentioned is still available. I had one several years ago. The pockets turned green from copper - later learned due to PVC. Also UNC cents did not fit (too tight). I do not know if they corrected these issues.

Mine wasn't a guard master actually , I just found it , its labeled uni-safe and its had a few coins in it for over 5 years with no pvc that I see.

I'm thinking its ok

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020 11:26AM

I think I have a Whitman bookshelf album, but it may not be in nice condition.
    I can try and look tonight.
    I keep most of my nicer ones in 2x2 holders, just like my raw US large cents.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Just to close the loop. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, At the end of the day, I chose a lighthouse album. Nice quality and the last page has a number of empty spaces permitting me to add what is basically a type set of the Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc cents which also expanded my knowledge of these issues as well. After languishing for over 3 decades in an old Whitman folder its nice to have these cents in an album more appropriate to their generally nice condition. As, all is well...