Home Sports Talk

Carlos Beltran and the HOF

ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am truly curious what the rest of you think of Carlos Beltran's chance now for the Baseball HOF, in the aftermath of his departure as Mets manager.

Comments

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to mention that prior to the latest news, I've always viewed him as a likely, but lower-tier candidate for the Hall.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

He'd hardly be the worst player in the HOF but no, he doesn't belong in the HOF as I wish it were. He was essentially the same player as Dave Parker; not quite as good as Jimmy Wynn and a little bit better than Eric Davis. All fine players, and at the rate we're going (everyone I've mentioned was easily better than Harold Baines and Jim Rice) they may all be HOFers some day, but not with my support.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hovering around 0% with the latest scandal, but probably only had a less than 20% chance prior.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Freddie McGriff isn't in, then I just don't think Beltran should get in.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    He'd hardly be the worst player in the HOF but no, he doesn't belong in the HOF as I wish it were. He was essentially the same player as Dave Parker; not quite as good as Jimmy Wynn and a little bit better than Eric Davis. All fine players, and at the rate we're going (everyone I've mentioned was easily better than Harold Baines and Jim Rice) they may all be HOFers some day, but not with my support.

I think you grossly overvalue Parker. Rice was better. Beltran fits into the Ted Simmons-Dwight Evans-Lou Whitaker wing of the Hall of Fame, right next to Larry Walker.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    If Freddie McGriff isn't in, then I just don't think Beltran should get in.

Crime Dog should be in the Hall.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the HOF did his best work on knight rider

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    Beltran fits into the Ted Simmons-Dwight Evans-Lou Whitaker wing of the Hall of Fame, right next to Larry Walker.

I can't really argue with that, since that "wing" of the HOF only includes one actual HOFer. Which was my point. Sure, Beltran belongs in that "wing", and eventually as the HOF gets watered down further they'll build that wing and Beltran will belong there with Simmons, Parker, Walker, Whitaker, Pinson, Wynn, Cedeno, Murcer, Bando, and the scores of others who until recently nobody thought was quite good enough. Baines will still be in another wing with Chick Hafey, Travis Jackson and Jim Rice.

I left Evans out of the above because he was better than anyone mentioned. He, I think, is where the HOF border ought to be drawn. Whether he's in or out I can live with it, but anybody better than him should be in and anybody worse should be out. As it is, he's better than close to half the people in, and that number just keeps growing.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think once you get "the big stain", whether betting, juicing, or stealing anything, your chances are like burnt toast. Zip.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

No chance - after seeing Altuve video and Bregman interview believe there could be many involved. Wonder if MLB wants to hide this??

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    No chance - after seeing Altuve video and Bregman interview believe there could be many involved. Wonder if MLB wants to hide this??

they have been covering up this crap since forever. Their investigation consists of reading the internet