Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does PCGS certify all Eglit cataloged medals now?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 17, 2020 5:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just ran across the following 76 mm Eglit-90 by St. Gaudens and Barber which is certified by PCGS, however I do not see the Eglit reference in the PCGS tokens and medals page.

Nathan N. Eglit Reference:

PCGS Pages:

I was wondering if PCGS certifies all Eglit medals now or only select ones?

@HeatherBoyd Do you know if PCGS grading now covers all Eglit listed medals?

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 4:54AM

they do seem to encapsulate medals if you list the "Eglit" number although I also haven't seen the reference listed. I have asked customer service and never really gotten an answer, but they have graded what I have submitted.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 5:10AM

@keets said:
    they do seem to encapsulate medals if you list the "Eglit" number although I also haven't seen the reference listed. I have asked customer service and never really gotten an answer, but they have graded what I have submitted.

Good to know. Thanks Al!

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a side note, I saw more of these Columbian Exposition award medals (both with and without cases) for sale at FUN then at any previous show in 30+ years. Prices varied. :)

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:
    As a side note, I saw more of these Columbian Exposition award medals (both with and without cases) for sale at FUN then at any previous show in 30+ years. Prices varied. :)

Do you think that is coincidental or is a hoard being dispersed?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coincidental. There were one or two in many cases (including two in mine) across the floor in all parts of the room including the world and bargain areas -- enough to make one take notice. Of course they have never been rare, just very popular.

• Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who e-mailed me pictures of what i'm assuming is an unawarded Eglit-90 (see photos). I need advice on this piece.... does have a "1" stamped on the edge mean it's something special ?

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

Sorry, the rest of the photos....

edited January 24, 2020 1:54AM

@tokenpro said:
    Coincidental. There were one or two in many cases (including two in mine) across the floor in all parts of the room including the world and bargain areas -- enough to make one take notice. Of course they have never been rare, just very popular.

I'm a collectors of these and have 2 myself. I wonder how many were issued?

It would be great to get TrueViews of mine.

edited January 24, 2020 1:55AM

@Pioneer1 said:
    I have a friend who e-mailed me pictures of what i'm assuming is an unawarded Eglit-90 (see photos). I need advice on this piece.... does have a "1" stamped on the edge mean it's something special ?

Not sure but it looks like an intriguing piece. I haven't run across one like that before but I'd be interested in picking one up if it became available.

More intel on this piece:

It is one of the Columbian award medals but has a "1" on the edge... and came out of an old collection in CT. My understanding is that either Scovill Manufacturing of Waterbury CT and/or the US mint struck it... and it was designed by Augustus St. Gaudens (obverse) and Charles Barber (reverse) for the 1893 WCE.

There have been two auction appearances of edge-numbered columbian pieces.

This piece #2:

https://archive.org/details/fixedpricelistam1991stac/page/47/mode/1up

and this piece that has edge number "6" ....

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-B46A8/1893-worlds-columbian-exposition-award-medal-bronze-763mm-57mm-thick-by-augustus-saint-gaudens-and-charles-e-barber-eglit-90-rulau-x4-gem-uncirculated

The attached piece has edge number "1" and is now for sale on e-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Important-1893-Worlds-Columbian-Exposition-Award-Medal-Bronze-76mm-1-On-Edge/264617522595

Really cool piece...

edited February 1, 2020 2:42PM

@Pioneer1 said:
    More intel on this piece:

It is one of the Columbian award medals but has a "1" on the edge... and came out of an old collection in CT. My understanding is that either Scovill Manufacturing of Waterbury CT and/or the US mint struck it... and it was designed by Augustus St. Gaudens (obverse) and Charles Barber (reverse) for the 1893 WCE.

There have been two auction appearances of edge-numbered columbian pieces.

This piece #2:

https://archive.org/details/fixedpricelistam1991stac/page/47/mode/1up

and this piece that has edge number "6" ....

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-B46A8/1893-worlds-columbian-exposition-award-medal-bronze-763mm-57mm-thick-by-augustus-saint-gaudens-and-charles-e-barber-eglit-90-rulau-x4-gem-uncirculated

The attached piece has edge number "1" and is now for sale on e-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Important-1893-Worlds-Columbian-Exposition-Award-Medal-Bronze-76mm-1-On-Edge/264617522595

Really cool piece...

Definitely an interesting piece. Given that both #2 and #6 are from the Barber Estate. I wonder if #1 is also from the Barber Estate and somehow the provenance was lost?

It would be interesting for someone to put together a complete set of these.

I'm curious what this ends at.

#1 - 2020 - $10,595.00 - eBay

Obv. Saint Gaudens' concept of an armored Columbus stepping ashore on San Salvador with two crew members under a flowing banner, Pillars of Hercules and PLVS/ VLTRA/ OCT. XII/ MCCCCXCII. at r.

Rev. Barber's design, flaming torches flank Winged Fame and History with globe atop a tablet with 6-line Commemorative inscription, the Santa Maria below partly hidden by the tablet.

The edge bears the incuse number "1" at 12:00...

Interesting to remember that another example of this famous medal was in Stacks American Historical Medals Fixed Price List in 1990. That medal formerly belonged to Charles E. Barber, an experimental olive-green patina and bore the edge number "2," the only such numbered example then known. Here is a great example of an ultra-rare numbered historic medal for your consideration.

This medal came from an estate in CT and was passed down through the family since the early 1900's along with several other medals, coins and tokens. (see my past and current listings for some of the collection).

I suspect this medal originally belonged to Barber or St. Gaudens.

#2 - 1991 - $900 - Stack's Fixed Price List

#6 - January 26, 2010 - $5,750 - New York Americana Sale

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file