Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

2004 Banksy British £10 Di-Faced Tenner Grading Question

treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2020 12:43AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Hi all,

Might be an odd question... but will our host, or any likewise 3rd party graders accept this note for grading?

I received the note from Steve Lazarides, Banksy’s PR manager as a part of a Volume that was recently released. I have documentation of authenticity.

Technically the note is a “fake” tenner, hence the changes in the design. However, the note is rare, and is documented in the famous Exit through the gift shop film as you can see here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ke09T2UyXC8

Heritage also recognizes them as you can see by their previous sales : https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntt=Difaced+tenner&N=790+231&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

Anyways,

Here’s an image of the note.

Please let me know if PMG or PCGS would grade this... and if it has been attributed in any catalogs that can allow it to be graded. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be considered to be an art print?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Wouldn't it be considered to be an art print?

Technically yes, it is an art print, however it is still a currency note that could be graded. Same paper, ink, quality etc.

Kind of like Dan Carr having some of his “fantasy” pieces being graded now, they are cataloged and have KM numbers.

I was wondering if this was the same case for the banksy note if it was cataloged somewhere so I could be able to grade it.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like Boggs currency.

PCGS has graded these but it could have been under the old management and I'm not sure that PCGS would grade Boggs or Banksy notes now. PMG will not grade Boggs or Banksy notes. CGA has graded Boggs notes and may grade/certify these, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@sellitstore said:
    More like Boggs currency.

PCGS has graded these but it could have been under the old management and I'm not sure that PCGS would grade Boggs or Banksy notes now. PMG will not grade Boggs or Banksy notes. CGA has graded Boggs notes and may grade/certify these, too.

Thank you! I’ll try PCGS maybe hopeful with a note. PMG declined me already.

Boggs is a better comparison for sure. Didn’t come to mind, I just thought of dan carr on the numismatics side of things :)