Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Rouble 1924, Soviet Union

RedfoxRedfox Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited January 17, 2020 6:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi there,

I've been looking for a 1924 Rouble for a long time. Finally I've bought one! I'd like to share it with you, and read your thoughs about it. Also, I have two questions.

A. Do you think that there is a pin scratch on a close-up (on the upper left part of the reverse near the rim)?

B. How do you feel about patina? The green specks made me thinking that it may not be entirely original.

Thanks,

Redfox

P.S. It is Ms-63.

Comments

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Nice Rouble. I have an example of that piece, too. The toning on yours is a little dark for my taste, but I think that's a personal preference. This is the obverse of my piece.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s super nice and pleasing toning. These are very difficult to find nice looking
    May look washed out......to me.
    Here’s mine.

• Options

@tbishopric
    Nice one! Can you post a reverse?

My taste for heavy patina comes from my like for coins as they are. That they haven't been altered in any way, i.e. dipped

@coinsarefun

Wow! That is all I can say seeing this gorgeous patination. And also seeing details fully struck and intact.

This "washed out" look I would attribute to dies of this design being worn down. It is pretty clear looking at spikes of wheat on the reverse, right to the globe.

Moreover I think that it must have been struck forward the end of the production, looking at the chiped ( in a few places) rim.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the toning.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The workers and peasants like your coin!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2020 2:59PM

I collect early USSR coins, have the whole early 1920's type set in BU including the stinker 5 kopek in bronze.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins.

OP's coin: if it passed PCGS I'd be OK with it, so unless you just don't like the look I would not lose sleep over it (are you sure that scratch isn't isn't on the plastic?). As for the skin - I assume it is original with all that is going on there.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like it - too many of these are bright white having been dipped out.

Hard for me to see the scratch.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 8:40AM

Here's the reverse of mine. PCGS MS-63

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who doesn't have one of these? :D

• Options
    edited January 17, 2020 5:49PM

@SaorAlba
    A very nice rouble, although not exactly in my type (being "blast white") ;). I really like the way you put your signature on the lower rim of the obverse.

@JBK
    I believe it is on the coin itself. It doesn't bother me that much, but I wanted to ask others for an opinion. And let's be honest: graders are people, and thus sometimes they may omit a damage, or deem coin "valuable enough" to overlook it.

Don't worry. In my view this specific piece is not widely popular, or recognised. There are very few discussions devoted to the 1924 Rouble, be it Collectors Universe, Cointalk, or any other forum. At least compared to Morgans, Peace Dollars, or UK Crowns 😉.

@Bob13
    Yeah, it's a pain in the ass finding one with any patina at all 😆. I had been looking for about 9 months for a piece like the one that I had posted.

@tbishopric

Beautiful reverse. I really like that the details are sharp. My own rouble is a bit weak, especially on spikes of wheat, next to the globe.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one in the original post looks good to me. There might be a small scratch, but I wouldn't have found anything unless it was pointed out. Plus, it's market acceptable for the grade.

Here is one I used to own:

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can help you out with that. ;)

@JBK said:

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made two visits to France about 1993, a few years after the fall of the old Soviet Union.

Every dealer had five to ten of these, even the flea market guys. I bought two nice ones.

Things that happen when young make it difficult to chase after things that are pricier today.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I made two visits to France about 1993, a few years after the fall of the old Soviet Union.

Every dealer had five to ten of these, even the flea market guys. I bought two nice ones.

Things that happen when young make it difficult to chase after things that are pricier today.

It was a hell of a great time to go into banks and buy gold in Paris and Amsterdam then also. Picked up $20s, Napoleons etc for spot. I haunted the Bourse area of Paris.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2020 9:23AM

On the north end, where the Rue Vivienne meets the Boulevard Haussmann, I visited several coin shops. The banks further south (closer to the Bourse) I could only look at the nice gold things in their security windows. I was lucky have the funds to be there in the first place, let alone buying gold coins! I was limited to silver and was looking for nice five francs coins, mostly Nappy through Louis Phillipe. Back then, there were many book sellers in the north end vicinity too.

Spellchecker is a real bear this morning!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it... I posted mine here within the past year after it was graded by our host

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 9:28AM

@JBK said:

It all averages out...

Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь! - Workers of all countries, unite!

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020 9:26AM

Love this type. This is the coolest one we've ever had - came out of a group lot in a Coin Galleries sale if memories serves:

https://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=archive&task=det_item&item_id=3889

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    Love this type. This is the coolest one we've ever had - came out of a group lot in a Coin Galleries sale if memories serves:

https://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=archive&task=det_item&item_id=3889

So looks like someone got this coin into a 66 holder...

Then auctioned it in Poland...
    https://aukcje.gndm.pl/auction/10/category/885271/lot/6562?lang=en

And now it is on its way to me! Been looking for one of this type and spotted this before realizing it was the CRO coin above!

That's awesome!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love these. I find the @redfox example in the OP attractive, with that toning.

Mine is a middle-of-the-road, off-white MS62. I was pleased with it, for the money. I could have gone with a 63 or 64 but ended up with this, which was the best intersection of budget and eye appeal for me at the time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.