Home Sports Talk
Options

Who was the MVP of the 1980's

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any sport. High amatuer or professional level?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020 6:00PM

Well, you can make a very strong case for Magic Johnson as far as basketball is concerned. Of course you have to add Larry Bird as well. Magic won more titles, but Larry Bird is just as great as Magic, if not better.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020 6:19PM

I watched almost every game Magic played. Never been entertained more in my life.

Hockey is my 4th favorite sport.

I've never seen one athlete dominate a team sport as much as The Great One.

Four Stanley Cups in the 80's.

Gretzky is my choice.

• Options

Montana

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gretzky

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

Hulk Hogan

Mike Tyson

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gretzky

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2020 1:17PM

For me it was Larry Bird. No questions asked. He was, imo, the GOAT.

Edit to add: also, for me, Marvin Hagler.

These two men defined 80s sports for me and were must see TV, seeking out high lights, interviews.

I am happy that Hagler, atleast as of the last time I checked, seems to have survived with his brain pretty well intact

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honorable Mention: Mary Lou Retton

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Honorable Mention: Mary Lou Retton

Great answer.

• Options

@nebish said:
    Hulk Hogan

Mike Tyson

Hulk Hogan was huge. You're right. And Tyson.....wow! Larger than life.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Rooney’s who sold out the stadium seats for the next 15 years

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2020 2:20PM

@thisistheshow said:

I am happy that Hagler, atleast as of the last time I checked, seems to have survived with his brain pretty well intact

if any former pugilist is ok between the ears, it's probably him. no one ever KO'd him, and only Juan Roldan knocked him down............and that was a quasi-knockdown at best.

one of the most durable chins -- and one of the best nicknames -- ever.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2020 3:12PM

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

if any former pugilist is ok between the ears, it's probably him. no one ever KO'd him, and only Juan Roldan knocked him down............and that was a quasi-knockdown at best.

one of the most durable chins -- and one of the best nicknames -- ever.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler. I just re-watched the Hearns fight after posting this. Good stuff.

Edit to add: he definitely slipped.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Agree with most listed - Bird, Magic, Montana, but #1 Gretzky

• Options

...and no baseball player has been mentioned.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gretzky was on another level from everybody else in that decade.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    ...and no baseball player has been mentioned.

While my mind always turns first to baseball, there was nobody in the 1980s that was to baseball what Gretzky was to hockey or Bird/Magic were to basketball. Henderson was the best, and great, but not that level great.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carl Lewis

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 11:11AM

NHL- Gretzky
    NFL- Montana
    MLB-Nolan Ryan, Ozzie Smith (MLB was hard to pick)
    NBA- Magic/ Bird
    WWF- Hogan
    WCW- Ric Flair
    Boxing- Tyson

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry Holmes - Won his first 48 fights.

John McEnroe - 3 Wimbledon's(5 finals) 3 U.S. Opens(4 finals)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 18, 2020 9:34PM

@coolstanley said:

Ivan Lendl - 3 French (5 finals), 1 Australian (2 finals), 3 US (8 straight finals)

Also had 2 Wimbledon finals without winning.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edwin Moses is not a ridiculous answer.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Edwin Moses is not a ridiculous answer.

Edwin Moses s a very good answer!

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Ivan Lendl - 3 French (5 finals), 1 Australian (2 finals), 3 US (8 straight finals)

Lendl would give his left arm for one of John's Wimbledon titles.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Very true. But Lendl still had more success overall.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Very true. But Lendl still had more success overall.

I would probably disagree. They both ended the year #1 four times in the 80's. McEnroe posted the best single-season match record (for a male player) in the Open Era with win-loss record: 82–3 (96.5%) set in 1984. Grand slam titles (1980's )McEnroe -
    13(6 singles, 7 doubles) Lendl - 7 (singles).

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked both of these guys as well as Connors (1970's), but seriously a tennis player being the MVP of the 1980's?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I liked both of these guys as well as Connors (1970's), but seriously a tennis player being the MVP of the 1980's?

Why not a Tennis player? They are great athletes.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

I would probably disagree. They both ended the year #1 four times in the 80's. McEnroe posted the best single-season match record (for a male player) in the Open Era with win-loss record: 82–3 (96.5%) set in 1984. Grand slam titles (1980's )McEnroe -

A good argument in favor of Johnny Mac! That said, let's be really honest, nobody cares about Grand Slam doubles titles when it comes to talking the greatness of a player.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

All these people are great athletes. In my opinion you have to be competing directly with an opponent to be considered truly great. Boxing, wrestling (sorry, not Hulk Hogan wrestling), football, hockey, basketball. Probably a few other sports I am missing.

No bowlers, tennis players, pole vaulters or golfers would/should be eligible for athlete of the decade imo.

I am NOT saying they all can't be incredibly skilled, and great athletes, but to be able to excel with a competitor physically "fighting" you is harder than hitting a tennis ball, no matter how well you strike it or how quickly you can get to it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

All these people are great athletes. In my opinion you have to be competing directly with an opponent to be considered truly great. Boxing, wrestling (sorry, not Hulk Hogan wrestling), football, hockey, basketball. Probably a few other sports I am missing.

No bowlers, tennis players, pole vaulters or golfers would/should be eligible for athlete of the decade imo.

I am NOT saying they all can't be incredibly skilled, and great athletes, but to be able to excel with a competitor physically "fighting" you is harder than hitting a tennis ball, no matter how well you strike it or how quickly you can get to it.

By this logic, baseball players are not eligible. Hmm ...

• Options

Golfer is the only athlete than can hit the ball 1000 feet. Pole vaulter can propel himself 20 feet into the air. Tennis matches can run a grueling 6 hours. You don't get to put in a sub when you get tired.

Worthy athletes all.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

A good argument in favor of Johnny Mac! That said, let's be really honest, nobody cares about Grand Slam doubles titles when it comes to talking the greatness of a player.

Incorrect.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I did struggle a bit with excluding Baseball players. Hitting a ball coming at you 90-100 MPH and moving up/down/in/out of the strike zone is most likely the hardest single thing to do in sports.

@Coinstartled said:
    Golfer is the only athlete than can hit the ball 1000 feet. Pole vaulter can propel himself 20 feet into the air. Tennis matches can run a grueling 6 hours. You don't get to put in a sub when you get tired.

Worthy athletes all.

Never said they weren't great athletes. I used to be able to hit a golf ball pretty far (and sometimes straight) but doubt that I could even foul off a major league pitch.

Ever tried to skate down the ice at full speed with a guy checking you and try to pass or shoot a hockey puck? A little tougher than hitting a ball sitting on the ground, or on a tee.

How about Horseshoe players, I have seen some AMAZING guys who could "pitch" ringer after ringer.

Some dart players are quite good too. Many have to perform while drunk. ;-)

• Options

That's a pretty good list. Especially at the top 5 rankings!

Had to laugh when I saw golf was a little harder than cheerleading. ;-)

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Funk turned the corner in the 80's starring in Road House with Patrick Swayze after a raucous 70's decade....he is my MVP~

• Options
    edited January 21, 2020 8:59AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I did struggle a bit with excluding Baseball players. Hitting a ball coming at you 90-100 MPH and moving up/down/in/out of the strike zone is most likely the hardest single thing to do in sports.

@Coinstartled said:

Worthy athletes all.

Never said they weren't great athletes. I used to be able to hit a golf ball pretty far (and sometimes straight) but doubt that I could even foul off a major league pitch.

Ever tried to skate down the ice at full speed with a guy checking you and try to pass or shoot a hockey puck? A little tougher than hitting a ball sitting on the ground, or on a tee.

How about Horseshoe players, I have seen some AMAZING guys who could "pitch" ringer after ringer.

Standing still and hitting a ball is harder than chasing down one going faster to hit it? That's some Dime level logic.

• Options

Toughest sport to play is NBA center. Growing to 7 foot is not easy.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2020 10:47AM

@LarkinCollector said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

Worthy athletes all.

Standing still and hitting a ball is harder than chasing down one going faster to hit it? That's some Dime level logic.

Ha ha. I see what you did there.

Tennis Racquet slightly bigger than a baseball bat and has a flat surface. Might take a bit more time for the tennis ball to get to you than the baseball. Less danger of getting hurt if being hit with ball in tennis too. Not to mention eight guys in front of you trying to get you out.

Nice try.

I will concede that Tennis is close to the top of the difficult sports.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Toughest sport to play is NBA center. Growing to 7 foot is not easy.

Yes! ;-)

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

not a big hockey fan, but over the entire decade, no one was so far above any other player in the sport and just dominated on a game by game basis than GRETSKY. In the first six years of the decade, he totalled over 1200 points. His team was in contention for the championship every year, winning 4 times. Just total dominance! Played in virtual obscurity in Edmonton.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    not a big hockey fan, but over the entire decade, no one was so far above any other player in the sport and just dominated on a game by game basis than GRETSKY. In the first six years of the decade, he totalled over 1200 points. His team was in contention for the championship every year, winning 4 times. Just total dominance! Played in virtual obscurity in Edmonton.

Gretzky led the league in assists every year and goals 5 times during the decade.

Total dominance is correct.

Montana 6 pro bowls 4 Super Bowl wins.

Mike Tyson had a dominant 5 year run.

Magic/Bird were awesome. I'll go with Magic, but awfully close.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Schmidt

• Options
    edited January 21, 2020 2:14PM

@JRR300 said:
    Played in virtual obscurity in Edmonton.

Yes, only the eskimos knew his name before he jumped to LA.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't go that far, but he played a sport that is probably #4 in the Big $ sports in the US, in a game without a national TV contract and in a place that most people don't even know where it is.

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Hockey....Gretzky
    Baseball....Henderson
    Basketball....Magic
    Football...Montana
    Boxing...Tyson
    Best athlete of the 80's was Bo Jackson.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Its almost as hard as returning a 150 MPH serve.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Off of a bounce.

:*

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 3:15AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Off of a bounce.

:*

Do you think hitting a baseball off of a bounce would be easier?

Ignore list -Basebal21