Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Douro Shipwreck Set of 9 Coins - 5 Gold and 4 Silver

Just picked this up today and wanted to gauge any interest for possible sale. It is the "Treasure of the Douro Shipwreck" ultimate set with papers. It consists of 4 gold Sovereigns, 1 gold 6400 reis coin and 4 silver coins.

The gold sovereigns are as follows:
1872 - St George on reverse
1874 - St George on reverse
1861 - Shield on reverse
1875 - Shield on reverse

The 6400 Reis:
1787 R

The Silver coins:
1875 - 2000 Reis
1876 - 1000 Reis
1866 - 1000 Reis
1864 - 500 Reis

There is also a little glass jar with 3 grams of gold dust that were recovered as well.

The coins in the set were some of the nicest samples recovered.

If there is interest, make me an offer!! This is not the normal purchase for me and I would love to make room for some more poured vintage silver bars!!

Comments

• bvmaybvmay Posts: 29 ✭✭

The coloring in the photos is bad. I took them with my phone under the incandescent lighting. if anyone needs better pictures please let me know.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better chance to sell in the BST world coins?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - this belongs in the BST forum...

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pages 49 and 50 of the January 2020 issue of 'Coin News' (Token Publishing) have an excellent article on 'The Sovereigns of the RMS Douro'.

The article expends a great deal of print discussing how and how long it took to market the over 20,000 sovereigns recovered from the wreck.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have a manila from the Duoro.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver coins of Pedro II of Brasil are likely common.

All of these coins might be considerably enhanced if one could get them into a slab with a label denoting the origin.