Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

One more stupid question re: Chicago coin show

I was thinking of bringing some coins to use for trading. I know this may sound like a paranoid question but here it is:
Has anyone ever brought a coin to a show for trade and than had a dealer accuse them of stealing the coin from their inventory? How can you prove that the coin is really yours? With all the coins trading hands I can see where there would be room for confusion & fraud --- sad to say but we do not live in a perfect world.image
It is possible for people to ask questions for no other reason than to educate themselves. The only stupid questions are those that are never asked.

Comments

• Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

If it is an expensive coin, you could scan it, and bring a picture along. Then if a dealer were to accuse you, you could show them that and watch their face turn red from image. Just an idea!

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually just the opposite happened to me. I tried to return a BU reeded edge bust half to a dealer back in my early days after owning it for a few weeks. It was the only RE bust half I had ever owned and no doubt a memorable coin from the dealer's aspect. They flatly refused to believe it was the same coin they had sold me and basically accused me of switching coins. It was the last coin I ever bought from that dealer even though I saw her set up dozens of times at shows for many years hence.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    WCT,

Take a list of the coins you have in your wallet. If they are certified, make sure and write down the certificate numbers on the piece of paper. That way you know what is in your inventory at all times.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Thanks to all for the replies!
    Keithdagen,
    I know what is mine -- I just want to make sure no one else tried taking them. they are all PCGS slabbed beauties!
    It is possible for people to ask questions for no other reason than to educate themselves. The only stupid questions are those that are never asked.

• Options
    Don't wear a White Sox hat.....that will be a dead give away.........
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    I plan on trying to buy a few & sell a few coins in Chicago. How reasonable are the offers? When selling, do you generally get fair prices or do the dealers try to buy REAL cheap?