Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Error Note? (Answer Received)

icollect45icollect45 Posts: 9
edited January 12, 2020 2:46PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Hello everyone,

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

I've received a bill today that I would love to know more about.

Is this an error? Insufficient ink?

At first, i thought this was due to age, but then again the ink shown on the other parts of the bills are perfectly fine, it is just the serial number and the seal on the front.

I know that they are a few reverse errors on these bills as shown here, but I am not sure about the observe of this bill.

The seal and the serial number seems to be faded, low ink, no color, etc..

Would love to hear from you all.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chemical exposure, maybe bleach.

This note is printed in three colors and three stages. The green back first, the black face second and the blue seal and serial numbers last. The chemical affected the two colors but not the black.

Can you post a color photo? This one looks B&W.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Hello,

Thank you for replying.

Interesting if that is the case.

And these photos were taken with flash, not black and white.

When I look close to the seal and serial number, I see a bit of coloring, like greenish blueish, but looks like blue.

I will take close up photos and submit shortly when I return home.

• Options
    icollect45icollect45 Posts: 9
    edited January 12, 2020 2:45PM

@sellitstore said:
    Chemical exposure, maybe bleach.

This note is printed in three colors and three stages. The green back first, the black face second and the blue seal and serial numbers last. The chemical affected the two colors but not the black.

Can you post a color photo? This one looks B&W.

Hello,

Just got home.

Took as much photos as possible, please let me know if you need any other photos.

I even tried to show the bit of coloring.

As stated, i seen many error notes with the missing ink on the back, but not sure if this bill has the same error and the seal and serial number got me going crazy haha.

!

• Options

I've tried doing more research on my end just now, it is really hard to find an answer or anything similar.

It's either I find the reverse bills that either been washed or an actual error (not sure with this piece), but then the observe is just fine. (this observe seems to have a fading seal and serial number)

And other examples I've seen is where the serial number and seal is completely missing, but this bill's seal and serial number is still visible, just very light and light coloring.

Wouldn't bleach or any chemical remove the entire serial number/seal completely? And the "Washington D.C." on the seal is perfectly fine without any fading.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@icollect45 said:
    I've tried doing more research on my end just now, it is really hard to find an answer or anything similar.

It's either I find the reverse bills that either been washed or an actual error (not sure with this piece), but then the observe is just fine. (this observe seems to have a fading seal and serial number)

And other examples I've seen is where the serial number and seal is completely missing, but this bill's seal and serial number is still visible, just very light and light coloring.

Wouldn't bleach or any chemical remove the entire serial number/seal completely? And the "Washington D.C." on the seal is perfectly fine without any fading.

This is the second forum I’ve seen this note and on both forums the general consensus has been environmental damage. As @sellitstore mentioned above, chemicals affected the green ink (back) and blue ink (seal & serial numbers) but not the black ink, AFTER it left the BEP. I think you’ve found your answer, but it’s not what you wanted to hear. Nobody here is a chemist and can explain why all the green and blue ink was not fully erased and the why black remained, but it’s what we’ve all seen in the past and what we believe to be the reason for the loss of ink.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

This done frequently to the seals of fractional currency...bleach or some other solvent...but it done to deceive

• Options

I was hoping I received an error note haha, but had a feeling this note was not a legit error.

I also knew, being I couldn't find anything similar to this.

Thank you all for responding!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why no photos.
    Resume: Knowledge of...*
    *All chemicals in the printing industry and their use in production.
    (that includes the stash of twinkes underneath the 1st unit backcylnder)
    *...to sum it all up- 45 yrs.
    lets try this.