Home Q & A Forum

The aluminum foil/baking soda method

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2020 4:03PM in Q & A Forum

Edit to add: The tone of the replies suggest that you think I am going to be cleaning my coins with this method. I have long been aware of the damage it does. :D

I told someone on a different forum that this causes scratches, after they suggested it to someone else, and was given the reply that
"There is no rubbing involved in an electrochemical reaction".

Can I get confirmation on this?

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't clean your coins!!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Don't clean your coins!!

I would never clean them. I was advising someone else not to, and a third party said that. I just want to get some more expert confirmation, so I can go back and give a strong warning to that guy not to ever do it himself.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if there is no rubbing, it would still remove metal from the coin surface. It’s a harsh clean.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2020 4:04PM

There is no rubbing in the reaction but generally the last step in cleaning and polishing silverware (forks, spoons, plates, etc.), i.e., is to “dry and polish” the silverware after the soak. Failure to do so will leave spotting on the silverware.

Note that I typed “silverware” and not coins.

Do not recommend any cleaning of coins.

A non-expert opinion.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, I would never do this and always warn against it.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Again, I would never do this and always warn against it.

Not meant at you but for you to use/modify or not.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rubbing and polishing abrasively removes metal and can cause an unnatural surface including visible scratches and hairlines. Electrochemical cleaning removes metal and can leave unnatural looking surfaces. Because it works on an atomic scale, scratches are not a common outcome

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2020 12:12AM

@Hemispherical said:

A non-expert opinion.

That's nonsense .... you know your stuff.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

An archaic cleaning method. With any type of cleaning, it depends entirely on the object and what you wish to do/remove. Extreme example to make the point: A sea salvage coin is treated differently than a Proof. >:)