Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My barber wants help/Baseball cards

Hi--I know a lot about coins and currency, but almost nothing about Baseball cards. My barber has a collection of 900 cards, and wants to sell them. How best to sort through them as for value? Thanks.

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Hi--I know a lot about coins and currency, but almost nothing about Baseball cards. My barber has a collection of 900 cards, and wants to sell them. How best to sort through them as for value? Thanks.

I would say to post some images of what he has here. We can give you a pretty quick idea if they are worth anything. Are they PSA graded? Raw cards? Years? Brands? A few pics will help guide...

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a new business idea...barber and card shop. ;)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I had a chance to image a folder of cards he has; he said he has a lot of cards from the 1940s and 50s; I told Vinnie that unless they are rookie cards of VIPs it is unlikely they will be worth much.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he has cards from the 40's and 50's he could have some good value.

Some pictured here are worth something, but need better photos. Pick out some of the HOFers from the 60's and early 70's and some that look extra nice and post some closer images.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Bonus points for Milt May leading off the album!

The stuff shown in the album has some decent 70s stars mixed in with some junk, probably nothing more than dollar bin cards, maybe a couple bucks in a few cases if someone really wanted it and it was in top condition. Tell him not to quit his day job.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

The 66 Sadowski & Cisco are high numbers but easy ones worth only a few bucks each..... Don't see much else much worth a buck a piece probably best to just auction it off all together and try to find a buyer at $25+ range maybe, not sure about the Comic book

The barber said he was going to have some school kids he knows organize the whole group for maximum profit. I did tell him I didn't think he had anything special. This is a different market compared to 20 years ago.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 5:52PM

I hope the school kids get a "cut" of the action. I'm Sorry, but I couldn't resist a good barber joke. ;)

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

The Ex-Mutants comic is not worth the cost to ship it.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone, back in the late 80's or early 90's probably they had a solid collection there. "Set these back for retirement, they said".

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • If I may opine, I'd say these cards are purely for the joy of collecting. Investment?....Mmmm, not so much.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

He has some other cards, I have been after him to send me images. He thought some of the other cards might be worth well over $100 each, so we will see. I would hate to deflate anyone's hope. He had a collection of California fractional gold tokens that I was sure were fakes, but didn't have the heart to tell him. Finally he went to an expert who told him that if they were real he would be hitting the powerball with them. But they weren't.