Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is Krause wrong about my 10 lirots ?

Bought a small lot of foreign junk silver the other day and I paid for these 2 10 lirot coins as though they were 50% . 1974 and 1975 , they weigh 20 grams.

According to krause they should be 26 grams and be 90% silver , then a little later the 10 lirot went to 20 grams of 50% silver.

The pics match the book , the weight doesn't ,I don't think they are counterfeit , so is it a karuse misprint or transcription error? The pics match up in size though

I think its krause , they don't ring like 90% to my ear so I'm thinking the change to 50% happened earlier.

NGC online shows no 10 lirotat all in 1974 , there are a lot of weird gaps on that site though,

the numismaster find my coin page says unavailable , I haven't looked at it in a while so maybe its long gone I can't tell.

Comments

• Options
    ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

There were 3 different types of 10 Lirot coins minted in 1974 and only 1 in 1975. Two of the 3 struck in 1974 were .900 silver weighing 26 grams and being 37 mm in diameter. The 3rd 10 Lirot struck in 1974 was the .500 silver 20 gram Hanukkah Damascus Lamp. It is 34 mm in diameter. The 1 minted in 1975 has the same spec.'s as the latter. Krause lists the Holland Lamp 10 Lirot of 1975 as KM 84.1, The MS version and KM 84.2 as the Proof version, which is where the confusion comes into play.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that caused by a period of hyperinflation like happened in the 80's ? Or just something the mint did?

The krause I looked in had pics of both but it seemed that the pic of the 1974 went with the 90% 26 gram coin and I laid it on the photo and it was very close in size but not exact .

You could tell there was a changeover right in that time period but it wasn't obvious exactly when.

If theres one area of mistakes in krause its often in the vast number of non circulating commemoratives some countries strike. Some don't make it in the book at all or no one cared enough and maybe the records are incomplete.

I found in the same day another error of sorts , being a 50% silver lot I got some coins from New zealand and a whole bunch were missing any mintage numbers the columns were all blank

Whats with the colonel klink moniker? I loved that show back in the day , I still watch it actually :D I saw 2 this week