Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Canadian $ for $ coins

I have a lot of the Canadian coins that cost the same amount as the face value on the coin. From $20 for $20 up to $300 for $300. I think I have around $6000 Canadian face value. Is anyone interested in the whole lot? They all have either the boxes they came in or the folders.

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you buy these from the mint or the Post Office?
    If you are a excellent+++ client at your bank... they might just exchange these for you.
    However, if you are expecting any profit from them, I can only say Good Luck
    Sorry to say, that only the mint is making A Lot of $$$ on x for x...an awful lot of money.
    People believed the mints advertising and interestingly, still fall for it.
    "well, its the RCM.. so it has to be true, :s .
    good luck with that

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think you will get 1:1 CAD to USD

The current exchange rate of $6000 CAD is around $4600 USD

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    I don’t think you will get 1:1 CAD to USD

The current exchange rate of $6000 CAD is around $4600 USD

Just looking to get the Canadian face value. Like the $200 for $200. I would like $153 US dollars for it. They ARE legal tender in Canada. Maybe I’ll just take a trip to Canada and finance it with the coins. There are some cool designs on some of them if no one is interested.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

You'll probably have to go to the mint to cash in that amount of NCLT. Maybe one of the larger banks will accept them. Make some calls.

Or post a list here and sell them off one or two at a time.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

What are the date from / to? How did you manage to get 6000$ in Canadian cent.
    What are the cool designs on some of them?
    Send me some pictures at rdoiron@live.fr
    I'm from Canada

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Legal tender yes, but don't for a second think that any stores will accept them for payment.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw post. PM sent.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious to know what the lot is comprised of :)

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

These have their own designation and are called Non-circulating legal tender. or NCLT. Charlton even designated a separate catalogue for these.
    Nobody has to accept them. The RCM probably has to accept them back. But they will most likely only give you a credit for some other of their NCLT nearly worthless legal junk. the RCM makes literally billions producing a "silver colored piece of metal" every time the queen has a hick-up.... sometimes these are called "rare collectors items"
    believe it or not....millions of people fall the Mint ads, and surprisingly, there are collectors for these.
    Please do not mistake these issues for the legal and regular nickel based circulation coins.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life