Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum

2020 China 1 oz Silver Kweichow "Auto Dollar" Restrike (PU)

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Ampex - Anyone pre ordering? I may grab one just to have πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

Comments

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

These China restrikes are nice

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Replica, not restrike.

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

I can just imagine trying to sell that raw one day and no one will trust it.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another bullion gimmick.

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I won’t disagree, Alas I will have one for myself.

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

True- replica. But a lot more interesting that an old beat up art bar.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I'll pass. nation has long been an obstacle to honest commerce.

You are looking at the wrong China...
    This coin is from Republic of China, also known as Taiwan.

• taciturntaciturn Posts: 24 ✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

@Coinstartled said:

Not quite correct. The original Auto Dollar was issued in China, when it was Republic of China. The civil war was later with separating Taiwan.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2020 12:17PM

You are correct.
    I just assumed this coin was minted in Taiwan since its coined as a Republic of China reference, but looking at the specs, its actually minted in Shanghai.

I'm even more surprised that an official (?) mainland China mint is allowed to mint products bearing any references to its arch enemy - Republic of China.

More tibits:
    -The warlord's name is hidden in the grass area ( tilt the obverse 90 degree clockwise to reveal)
    -This warlord Zhoa was killed by rebels when he got ahead of his troop formation, you guessed it, in the same Packard car and the road he build for it.

OP-Thanks for bringing up a fasinating coin piece.

• taciturntaciturn Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2020 6:32PM

Republic of China by the Guomindang was founded first (1912) and is part of nowadays China's history. The Communist Party was founded later (1921). The Communists and Guomindang also fought together. After the civil war the Guodmindang retreated themselves to Taiwan (1949). So nothing wrong that nowadays China uses "Republic of China" for its past. ;-) Original coins from this era are highly sought. And Taiwan is not China's arch enemy, its origin is part of China. ;-) I like it too that they make restrikes to commemorate older coins/history.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fc said:
    I can just imagine trying to sell that raw one day and no one will trust it.

Agree !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2020 2:01AM

@taciturn said:

@Sweetpie said:

@Coinstartled said:

Not quite correct. The original Auto Dollar was issued in China, when it was Republic of China. The civil war was later with separating Taiwan.

Today, "Taiwan" is officially called the "Republic of China" and not Taiwan. It is same government as the Republic of China that was on the mainland. The China Civil War hasn't concluded as the Republic of China lost the mainland and move their government to the island of Taiwan which the People's Republic of China wasn't able to take.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original coin this silver round is based on is very popular with collectors and has been very heavily counterfeited. This is a chance to get a copy of this design in silver and not have to worry about getting stuck with a fake.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file