Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is it against eBay policy or US law to sell Iranian coins

I was looking to thin out some gold. I have a set of Iranian gold pahlavi from the 70s. I checked eBay to see if there was any premium over gold. I got zero hits.

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes any country that the USA has a embargo on eBay will not let you sell goods from there.

Some countries that come to mind include, Iran, Cuba, and North Korea

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

Thanks Nice looking coins I am going to have to scrap I guess

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tydye said:

Try to sell on the BST or precious metals forum here before scrapping them some collectors might want them. (I might be interested :) )

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@tydye said:

Try to sell on the BST or precious metals forum here before scrapping them some collectors might want them. (I might be interested :) )

Agree - donrt scrap - list on BST Forum.

Or, try ebay but just don't use "Iran" in the listing. Describe the coin - date, shah, denomination, etc.

Cuba 3 peso coins picturing Che Guevara become "Caribbean 3 Peso Che coins", for example.

People who know what they are and are looking for them will find them if you use the right key words.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iran is boycotted by eBay but as far as I know Modern Persia is not

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

just worry more about paypal freezing your account than ebay.

The word cuba or iran appearing in anything going thru paypal can trigger an account freeze

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with careful creative marketing descriptions. I think BST here is even better. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Yep I’d be “Rich”. About a million n a half in Dinar’s 🤣

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Heritage selling lots of Iranian gold in the past. Some of them brought good money.

Check that out first.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I take that back. It was the CNG auction of the collector who had a huge gold collection (Adams, I think). But they did bring good money.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

My assumption is that any US ban is on post-Shah coins, but eBay just bans all the country's issues for expediency's sake.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, Ebay loves to blanket ban. I went round and round with them about listing pre Castro coins which were even struck in the US which are legal to trade + sell! They finally said they just didn't want the hassle.

@JBK said:
    My assumption is that any US ban is on post-Shah coins, but eBay just bans all the country's issues for expediency's sake.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be happy for a little clarity on this, as there is a birth-year 2 1/2 Pahlavi gold that I would like to own. One of the major auction houses (one of the majors) sold one not too long ago, but I forgot which one.