Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Liberty Nickel Complete Set

I have decided to post the balance of my Liberty Nickels on the Registry Set.
While I have several pending upgrades, I was concerned the system would
go "down" prior to and including the due date of June 30, 2002.

Comments

• Options
    I take it this is your set?

If so, very nice!
    Keith ™

• Options
    Yes, this is my collection.
  • Options
    Welcome! Nice way to start off too image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it was just a matter of time, as fast as you were adding to it. That poor 1908 sure looks out of place image
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Thank you. I agree that the grade for the 1908 does indeed look out of place for the balance of the collection. However, if you had the opportunity to examine the 1908 you, too, would wonder why the PCGS folks decided on 63. I have chosen to select and purchase all the pieces based upon my biased opinion of each specimen, rather than the grade, and that has left me with a 63 that seems to fit in just fine with a bevy of 66s. One man's ugly duckling is another man's swan.
  • Options
    Well, then get the 08 in a 64 holder and upgrade to a 65 or 66 and send the 64 my way (for my 64 set). It looked nice in the Ebay auction, I was watching it when you used the BIN to get it. When I first checked today, you had a 1894, and the 1893 was missing. Didn't you have the 1893 in there before today? I thought you needed the 1885, 1894, 1912-D and 1912-S as of yesterday.
  • Options
    It must have been a different 1908 you were watching. I have had the 1908, 1894, 1885, 1912D and 1912S for years. I have several different 1893s and just posted the 64 for a while for fun. If you are interested in 64s I have a number of them, let me know the dates you need.
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    worthy effort..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    Congratulations Babe ...

This must be a beautiful set to look at ... and certainly very tough to assemble at that level !!! As a collector of superb shield & lib nickels myself, I can appreciate the work that went into locating all those coins !!!

We opted for including NGC coins in our sets, as we found many beautiful specimens over the years in NGC as well as PCGS holders, and we don't like the politics of the crossover game. So some of our coins (including lib nickels) can be seen at the NGC Registry. Did you include NGC coins in your purchases and then cross them, or crack them out and submit them to PCGS ? Or did you just buy PCGS coins ?

Sunnywood (Keeper of The Sunnywood Collection)

P.S. If you ever want to sell any MS66 or MS67 lib nickels, find us at SunnywoodCoin@aol.com !!!! We are the top buyers of high-grade MS shield and lib nickels. image
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Babe:

Congrats on putting together this great set. Of course I am bitter that you knocked me off the pedestal, but I knew it was only a matter of timeimage There are also several other great sets out there including the Sunnywood set that could easily rank at or near the top. As I plan to continue to improve my set, please keep me in mind if you decide to sell any of your 66s whether first line or dups. Again, great work, and let's keep those libs 5c in the spotlight.

Sunnywood:

Do you have a website? Tried a Yahoo search but couldn't find you.

Cheers

Typetone
  • Options
    Hi Typetone,

Sorry, no website yet, we just haven't had the time. My first priority will be getting the libs imaged and uploading the images to the NGC Registry so everyone can see the coins. I am still trying to figure out the best imaging methods for toned color coins. There are some really beautiful rainbow-toned coins in our set, but we still don't consider the set finished, as the coins don't all match well enough. So there will be some ongoing "tweaking," and of course upgrades are always welcome !!

I hope you and Babe / J. Richard Howe will also post images of all your coins !!! (Somehow the names "Babe" and "J. Richard Howe" give me two very different mental images !!!! But the coins speak for themselves !!!)

While we are collectors & not dealers, we do sell off duplicates from time to time, but many of these may be NGC, not just PCGS. Nevertheless, I expect there will be some PCGS MS66 coins for sale between now and Labor Day. Sometimes we end up with three of four coins for one date just because we like them & can't bear to part with them !!! This is especially true of MS shields (every time I sell one I end up buying it back for more money, because I like them so much !!!)

If anyone wants to discuss shield & lib nickels, The Sunnywood Collection can be reached at SunnywoodCoin@aol.com.

Lib nickels are getting hot

Thanks for posting your set Babe !!
  • Options
    I have one nice Liberty for my Type Set...a 1900 65CAM and it's by far one of my Favorite Coins!!! ...wish I could afford lots more...

Nice Set!!!!!!

Rob
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone for their kind words regarding my Liberty Nickel set. (By the way, BABE stands for Blonde And Blue Eyes, since I am Swedish.) The Viking icon encourages the conquering ideal.

I have several PCGS duplicates in MS66 such as 1890, 1904, and 1911 which are available for sale. Of course, in my opinion, the ones in my Registry Set are "far" superior to the ones I would offer for sale. I also have the following in MS66 graded by NGC for sale: 1887, 1889, 1893, 1895 and 1900. I have tried to cross all of them to PCGS without success. (To the one respondee: No, I have not "cracked" any NGCs to reduce down to PCGS, it just isn't cost effective. However, I am confident that most PCGS graded MS66 now reside in NGC 66 or 67 holders.) I have the following NGC in MS65 for sale. I have not tried to cross any of these: 1886, 1897, 1902, and 1908. (Yes the 1908 would probably cross to PCGS MS64 or MS65 but I am waiting for the unique MS66.)

I am aware of the following "high end" PCGS Nickels which are for sale, but my budget is not elastic enough to pursue them: 1883 MS67, 1885 MS67, 1912D MS66 (I have one of this grade.) His email address is D2000f@aol.com.

Again, thanks to all for your thoughts. It has taken seven committed years. I am now pursuing the $20 Liberty Double Eagle collection. J. Richard Howe ("BABE")
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babe - Congrats on your set. I have been collecting for a couple years and appreciate your accomplishment. Want to talk to you about your duplicates. Please PM me or turn on yours.

Regards,
    Daryl
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babe: Congrats on your wonderful collection! I am looking to purchase a complete finest known set of MS and proof Liberty Nickels in high grade and prepared to "pay the price". Nice singles are fine as well in PCGS and NGC holders. Perhaps you could help me along in that search? Please email me at: mjcapc@aol.com. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Hey blond/blue, consider your 1890 MS66 sold !! E-mail me at SunnywoodCoin@aol.com !!

Thanks !!

• Options
    Just remember to keep the prices boiling above MS64 (until I finish). Love to see the attention to my favorite series. Anyone who wants to "donate" some images to me can count on them being shown to all that care to look.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Babe:

Interested in your PCGS 04 and 11 in MS66 as well as the 90 if Sunnywood decides against it. Please email me with prices at gsamorajski@mckinleycapital.com.

Thank you

Greg Samorajski