Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

There are some pretty ambitous set builders out there!

The new PSA composite includes sets such as 1985 Topps Minis, 1979-80, 1980-81, and 1981-82 OPC hockey among others. Good luck!!

Comments

• Options
    I also noticed the 1988 Topps baseball as well. Now there is a noble project!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    ...and how about that ever-in-demand 1989 Topps football!!!
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    There are so many new sets on the registry with no sets listed it pisses me off. PSA has gone through the trouble to list a set and whoever requested it doesn't even have one card to list? Meanwhile I have a good start to the set I requested and it has been sitting in the middle of the request pack for a few months now.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I agree that having these late 1980s sets on the Registry seems ludicrous -- esp. with no one registering anything. I can't see why anyone would want to build such a thing -- but you would think/hope that if someone went to the trouble of requesting it, that they would register some cards.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Perhaps they weren't requested, but PSA is operating on the "If you build it they will come" philosophy. Not a bad investment of very little time in making a database if it works.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Ya know...

If that were the case - its brilliant in a Machiavellian sort of way.

hmmmm... Should I spend $4500 to have the 88 Topps Set slabbed or should I buy 45 vending cases from the same year...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Isn't that 90 vending cases? ROFLMAO while I try to assemble my own 80's set. image
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    im building a psa 1992 bowman set... the set ungraded cost around $150 for all 705 cards. i have already put more than $300 bucks into a little more than 40 cards.

collecting modern cards for investment is an uphill battle. but you never asseamble your set at once so its not like its 5000 dollars at once. you pick up something every week.

i believe collecting and investmenting should not be confused or even mixed.

money comes and goes...to me set collecting gives a collector an incredible sense of accomplishment.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Well, I took this topic to heart. I know myself that I fully intend to list my 1987 WWF cards once they come back from PSA. It isn't a real popular set to get graded, and there is never any on eBay. You must understand things like this happen. On the other hand, I am sure that someone requested the 198X Topps set just to get the key rookies graded for $5 a piece instead of $8 or $6 on bulk.

Ian
  • Options
    Forgive me if I am ignorant of such matters as I do not know all of the rules of registering a set. However, should one perhaps have at least HALF of a set graded before PSA allows it to be registered? It just seems that the registry will become clogged with a bunch of sets someone quit or never intended on finishing. Is someone really going to spend nearly $4000 to grade a 1988 Topps baseball set??
  • Options
    Once my mommy hits the Powerball lottery, grading my 1988 GEM MINT BCCG 9 set I bought off of Shop at Home in PSA will be my first thing I ask for!
  • Options
    AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    I think the 1985 Topps minis is a very interesting set. It would be very hard to complete that set in any grade. Only cards from one of the six 132 card sheets from the 1985 Topps set were produced in mini form. It is estimated that less then 100 of each card exist. This is definately one of the hardest 1980's sets, and also one of the hardest Topps test issues. Has anyone on this board tried collecting them? I'm looking forward to seeing someone register a set. I'm sure they can't be too far along, only 22 different cards, for a total of 34 cards from the set have been graded by PSA.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I suspect that some of these 1980's common as dirt sets were registered because the person wanted to take advantage of the $5.00 '80's special. They perhaps have no intent on starting (let alone completing) these sets but via registering them, they could have the stars like Ripken, Ryan or Schmidt graded. ...jay
  • Options
    I really agree with some of the thoughts in this thread :

I do not see anyone spending $4000 to get the 88 Topps Set graded.

I too am frrsutrated by seeing tons of sets included in the registry and no cards listed while I have a 36 goudey set 80% complete but not on the registry! And I have been waiting for over 3 months!

Why are people requesting sets and then not listing cards? PSA sends you an email telling you your set is listed so they can not claim ignorance....

I think PSA should have a policy that if you request a set before you can request another you have to register your cards before you can request another set. This may help alleviate sets listed with none registered.

Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    A few were auctioned recently, with Mike Schmidt grabbing the most $$$$

List of closed 85 mini's
  • Options
    For such a rare set, they sure don't get much anymore. I was looking through a 1996 Superior auction catalogue today and there was a near set (119 of 132) offered with an opener of I believe $2600. Hope he broke even .
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jeff:

If you are so anxious to have the 1936 Goudey set added (and I can FULLY understand why you are that anxious), why don't you put together a spreadsheet of the cards, the weights, and the best graded. It would be a 2 hour project, and I guarantee that they would put the set up within a week after you complete that, as long as everything you propose is reasonable.

That is what I did for the Mike Schmidt player set -- and they were very receptive and happy to have it updated right away.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    There are so many new sets on the registry with no sets listed it pisses me off. PSA has gone through the trouble to list a set and whoever requested it doesn't even have one card to list? Meanwhile I have a good start to the set I requested and it has been sitting in the middle of the request pack for a few months now.

There must be someone listening, I have broken into the top 10image