Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Last Purchases of 2019 - Gold! And frosty silver :)

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2019 6:08PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Well, I had been saving money for the upcoming FUN Show and dipped into that kitty quite a bit today, with a spur-of-the-moment visit to a local shop. Who needs to eat anyway, when there are desirable coins to be had? Canadian coins are not overtly common at brick and mortar shops around here, at least not the good stuff.

Anyhow, I picked up one piece for my Canadian Dansco type set album, a nice frosty 1911 "Godless" Five Cents silver and a common, but exceptionally PQ Swiss 20 Francs. The 20F is a high-end AU with just a bit of rub on the cheek. I had been wanting add something gold to my OFEC set, and this fits the bill. It's not a gem, but it's solid and was priced at melt and with the world's finances in a sorry state, I guess it will also be a small hedge against disaster.

For your viewing pleasure:

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 6:52PM

Nice coins. Mel Brooks fan? I gather that from the quote on the sig line. The real interesting side of this is that Hedy Lamarr...The legendary Hollywood screen icon of the 1930's and 1940s was an inventor. She did more for the war effort besides participating in War Bond sales events.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Nice coins. Mel Brooks fan? I gather that from the quote on the sig line. The real interesting side of this is that Hedy Lamarr...The legendary Hollywood screen icon of the 1930's and 1940s was an inventor. She did more for the war effort besides participating in War Bond sales events.

Loved Blazing Saddles - one of the most quotable comedies I've ever seen! I knew that Hedy was an inventor and just visited the Wikipedia page for a refresher. I also read somewhere that she sued over the unauthorized use of her name in Blazing Saddles, and that Mel Brooks did not contest it, since it was definitely a legitimate claim.