Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a stupid term I just "coined?"

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the surfaces of a coin are cleaned either mechanically, chemically, or both; very often the coin has a "halo" effect around its relief design and letters because the cleaning either did not reach that area or there is a change of color. Long ago I named this characteristic "outline" a "halo." I had a new thought today and coined the term "hazelo" to describe this characteristic when it is just an easily removed film of anything such as skin oil. I value your opinions very much. Is this just a very stupid term? Does it just add confusion to a long standing term "halo effect?" Please be totally BRUTAL :p with your opinions as the poll is anonymous! LOL.

Is this a stupid term I just "coined?"

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, the 'halo effect' is a positive term used to describe the luster of an uncirculated coin. Is this not correct?? I would not want that to be co-mingled with any term used to describe a cleaned coin. I think you can come up with a better term, although I don't know what that might be. I will put some thought into it and see, if I come up with anything. Hazelo sounds funny and is too close to Halo effect. JMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

The haze you're describing; I just call it dip residue.

'Residue effect' is the best I can come up with.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 11:20AM

@Walkerfan said:
    To me, the 'halo effect' is a positive term used to describe the luster of an uncirculated coin. Is this not correct?? I would not want that to be co-mingled with any term used to describe a cleaned coin. I think you can come up with a better term, although I don't know what that might be. I will put some thought into it and see, if I come up with anything. Hazelo sounds funny and is too close to Halo effect. JMHO.

IMO this is not correct. Since early 1973, the term "halo effect" has been taught/used to describe what I posted above. Of course, any "brand-new-Johnny-come-lately-coin-ex-pert" (not you) could come along later and adopt the term. Rather than a correction ("Cud" changed to "Die Break" at the rim) it is a misuse. "Halo Effect" describes the characteristic it is intended to indicate "perfectly." However, this other term popped into my head today. Early start to New Year w/Brandy flavored coffee?

Now, the only way I can imagine the term "halo" being applied to BU coins with original mint luster would be the special cases where the strike and die wear appears to show a glowing "ring" around the coin's surface. I've called that characteristic a "Luster Halo" in the past. I'll look for some images.

Luster of an Uncirculated coin: "Bloom. Cartwheel, etc."

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 11:20AM

Since "Halo" isn't at all well known or used for this particular occurrence...I'm not sure "Hazelo" is any better or necessary.

(Looks more like a "shadow" effect to me. Halo implies some sort of brilliance, while shadow implies dull. But then I'd just be making up terms too. :neutral: )

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@Insider2 I am definitely thinking of a 'luster Halo', as I know I have heard luster bands described as 'halos' in the past.

• Options

"Shadow Effect" is a good one. :) "Shadow" never came to my mind back then. While a "shadow" casts a dark area behind something a "halo" surrounds something. .

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be in line with many numismatic neologisms, it has to be counter-intuitive, not make any sense, require a lot of explanation to define, or be at least partially named after yourself. I believe you've accomplished much of this with "hazelo," and I will agree that it's a pretty stupid term.

:)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe because I was surrounded by the younger generation awhile back but every time I hear/read “Halo” I think about a video game. :#

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 11:37AM

Why not just use the phrase " halo effect" which describes it perfectly.

o:)o:)o:)

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I just do not like terms like this.
    put it right up there with labordoodle and puggle

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Improper hazing?
    Lance.

• Options

"Altered Surface" and "Improper hazing" may be to general.

I do think "Hazelo" is stupid. I just needed a good beat down to start the last year of the decade. >:)

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 12:33PM

What's wrong with calling a cleaned coin "Cleaned" it explains everything very easily.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 12:39PM

KISS principle.... It's been "cleaned". Sometimes I'll say "harshly cleaned". Works for me.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Texast said:
    What's wrong with calling a cleaned coin "Cleaned" it explains everything very easily.

Too generic. There's curating, improper cleaning, chemical cleaning, physical cleaning, etc.

• Options

@Texast said:

If I rub my hands through my greasy (formerly black) hair and then touch the surface of a coin enough to get it hazy, I have NOT CLEANED the coin. I have "altered" its surface. Now, it needs to be properly cleaned (conserved) to restore it. See the difference.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Texast said:

Too generic. There's curating, improper cleaning, chemical cleaning, physical cleaning, etc.

Exactly! Unfortunately, the poster thinks it's funny.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Texast said:

If I rub my hands through my greasy (formerly black) hair and then touch the surface of a coin enough to get it hazy, I have NOT CLEANED the coin. I have "altered" its surface. Now, it needs to be properly cleaned (conserved) to restore it. See the difference.

I posted that so you could have fun arguing about it. I only mentioned cleaned coins, not altered surfaces.
    I knew any answer was the wrong one, just having some fun with you!

Have a happy New year!

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

Ditto. What a relief to read; at first I was disappointed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file