Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NFC Chip enabled Slabs coming to PSA

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

They always come up with another reason to reslab your coins and cards.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

While I think this is cool, I would like to see less focus on slab innovation and more focus on investing in technology to help in the actual grading process and fraud detection. I do really like what PSA has done with adding scans for graded cards for certain submission levels, that should help a bit with the cracking/alteration issue.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2019 5:58AM

It is already easy to scan the cert with a phone. While this is nice and will make it impossible to fake a barcode - I would much rather see an announcement of the launch of a photo matching step, department or software. Really any announcement on measures to increase the ability to detect trimmed cards.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Bdjohn said:

@Huskies11 said:
    While I think this is cool, I would like to see less focus on slab innovation and more focus on investing in technology to help in the actual grading process and fraud detection. I do really like what PSA has done with adding scans for graded cards for certain submission levels, that should help a bit with the cracking/alteration issue.

Agreed. While this is a good thing. It appears collector demand would call for improvements on what is being slabbed.

welcome to the forum

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

yep -- as has been stated, detecting the trimmed cards is paramount to the future of card grading...seeing some of the photos/scans of some of the trimmed cards that made it into holders is disheartening to those of us who really enjoy card collecting and the grading process. Something as easy as holding a straightedge along each side of the card would catch a lot of this crap...