Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Not OUR Zohar

But something related to the sacred work. Can anyone make any sense out of this? My Hebrew is rudimentary and certainly not up to translating what this amulet (?) says:

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a Jewish / Kabbalistic magic coin.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did some web searching. I believe the corrupted Hebrew on the obverse is meant to read, "In him was life, and the life was the light of man." (John 1:4). The symbolism seems to be something of mysticism and/or Wicca, rather than anything Jewish.

DPOTD
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2019 6:56AM

The hexagram is one of what are a series of Jewish Kabbalistic symbols known as pentacles, found in the Kabbalistic book the "Seals of Solomon". This particular hexagram is the "second pentacle of Mars", used in healing rituals.

Hebrew scholars have trouble translating these medals because the people buying and using these things aren't actual Kabbalistic Jews who could read the writing. The design is a copy of a copy of a copy, and (important!) bits and pieces of the letters have gotten lost in the transcriptions. Apparently, the demons can't tell the difference, because you can still buy amulets with this exact same design from spiritualist supplies shops.

Edit: Oops, the source-book is called the "Key of Solomon".

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am tempted to tell a friend, who found it in a storage bin, to bury it, respectfully. Such things make me nervous. The reverse is puzzling, though, as it looks like something that is more carefully done. If my friend sends the token to me, as I originally requested, I could study it further.

DPOTD