Options

Collecting the NFL 100 Rookie cards - recent pick ups

PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2019 8:51AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone else collecting these greats?

Comments

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I've owned all of them in a past collecting life, but I have to say that the outstanding NFL 100 show really does make me want to dive back in and re-acquire the golden oldies. You've got some great looking mid grades there!

• Options

Thanks, waiting patiently for the QB’s to be announced tonight. Prediction - Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Elway, Favre, Graham, Marino, and 2 of the following 5 (Baugh, Brees, Rodgers, Staubach, Starr).

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite sport. Love collecting FB Rookies, and would welcome and display all those @PatsGuy5000 is showing us. My kind of cards and grades. Got a few pics handy I can share. My goal was to have the best PSA 2 Warfield ever lol

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am focusing on knocking out the all time great QBs and Super Bowl MVPs first but I have this set in my sites as well. Luckily I have a good bit of overlap between sets I am working on.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@hyperchipper09 you win on the Warfield

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Thanks, waiting patiently for the QB’s to be announced tonight. Prediction - Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Elway, Favre, Graham, Marino, and 2 of the following 5 (Baugh, Brees, Rodgers, Staubach, Starr).

I think Starr gets in, I would like to see Brees in, but can’t argue Baugh.

• Options

@hyperchipper09 said:
    My favorite sport. Love collecting FB Rookies, and would welcome and display all those @PatsGuy5000 is showing us. My kind of cards and grades. Got a few pics handy I can share. My goal was to have the best PSA 2 Warfield ever lol

you are right, that Warfield looks great! The others are nice cards as well!

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

No Bradshaw?

• Options

@Coarsegold said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

No Bradshaw?

I think his stats (nearly equal TD/Int ratio) and that he was surrounded by stars may hurt. If they go on winning, he’s a lock with 4 Super Bowls.

• Options

It's been a great show. I think my favorite moment was when Collinsworth asked Belicheck how he knew so much about the older players? His reply was from collecting Football cards when he was a kid. Good stuff!

• Options

Glad to see some of the older guys getting recognition as well. Great show and discussion!

• Options
    edited December 27, 2019 9:18PM

I am biased for Brees that being said you have to pick the best from each era and I think they did that.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

It's a little sad for me to see Tarkenton not even in talks about the greats any longer. He was my favorite when I was a kid. I still remember Marino beating his career passing total. Now Fran isn't even top 10 any more.

Makes me wonder if a QB will ever break 6K in a season. Used to be 3K was a great year, now 5K is the standard.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@rexvos said:
    I am biased for Brees that being said you have to pick the best from each era and I think they did that.

He belongs in the discussions with the greats. Very hard to compare QB’s today from years ago. Have great respect for his professionalism and play for nearly 20 years!

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 9:51PM

@mrmopar said:
    It's a little sad for me to see Tarkenton not even in talks about the greats any longer. He was my favorite when I was a kid.

I think if he had won a Super Bowl, his name would have been mentioned more with the greats (similar to Jim Kelly). I enjoyed watching him scramble as a youngster in that cold stadium.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    It's a little sad for me to see Tarkenton not even in talks about the greats any longer. He was my favorite when I was a kid. I still remember Marino beating his career passing total. Now Fran isn't even top 10 any more.

Makes me wonder if a QB will ever break 6K in a season. Used to be 3K was a great year, now 5K is the standard.

I too remember when 3K was the standard. Things change though

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Well I am currently 8/10. Need to knock off a Baugh and Graham as well as upgrade my Favre in the near future.

• Options

@rexvos said:
    Well I am currently 8/10. Need to knock off a Baugh and Graham as well as upgrade my Favre in the near future.

Super nice! Need to dig into the safe and post more of mine!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I am missing Manning, brees and Brady so I can't post QB's

That is the nicest 2 Warfield I ever saw

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

great project you have one here. great looking qb cards.

• Options

@rexvos said:

I need to get a nice looking Staubach in a psa 6. sevens and eights are out of my range probably.

• Options

@lwehlers I bought that one about a decade ago when it was about $400 for an 8

• Options

@rexvos said:
    @lwehlers I bought that one about a decade ago when it was about $400 for an 8

I know an eight is out for me. great card! montana is sweet also.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, awesome cards! You know I’m jealous of your Brady, but the others are sweet too!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Mike, awesome cards! You know I’m jealous of your Brady, but the others are sweet too!

Thanks Danny boy

• Options

NFL 100 QBs...I think Starr got robbed

• Options

@chkajudo said:
    NFL 100 QBs...I think Starr got robbed

Tough to leave out several greats - Starr, Bradshaw, Aikman, Young, Rodgers, Brees, Tarkenton, etc.

• Options

I don't have many but I thought I would post a few of my Top 100.