Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bullet money...bean money...oh my!

stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 26, 2019 8:32PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've inherited a few bits and pieces of Japanese and Chinese coinage from my family over the years, but this is the first time that I've actually purchased anything from the "dark side" outright.

I bought a lot of these on a whim, and I know that 6 of them are bullet money from Thailand from the 1800's and four are bean money from Japan, but that's about it. If anyone can help in identifying them, I would be grateful. I think the smallest bullet coin is some sort of 1/4 or 1/2 Bhat. Also the largest bean coin appears to have a chopmark on it, which you may find interesting @OriginalDan

Either way, this lot is more fun than buying just another Morgan dollar :D

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who cares what they are, the exciting thing here is that Stealer is collecting again. Welcome back buddy.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    Who cares what they are, the exciting thing here is that Stealer is collecting again. Welcome back buddy.

Thanks! I'm just dipping my toes back in, we'll see where it takes me ;)

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stealer said:

@OriginalDan said:

Thanks! I'm just dipping my toes back in, we'll see where it takes me ;)

I'm not sure you can ever lose the sickness. You're doomed.

Seriously though, these are really neat. I've seen chops on Thai bullet money in the past, but haven't ever been able to find any further information about why they may have been chop marked, or even if the chop marks had anything to do with commerce like the typical chops we see on "normal" coins.