Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Paypal phishing scam discovered

A new Paypal phishing scam has been uncovered. The scam involves crafted emails to users of Paypal, claiming their Paypal account has experienced "unusual activity". You can check out the details of the scam at siliconangle.com

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would always err on the side of ignoring such emails. Once my account actually gets shut down I’ll start taking it seriously.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the scam, the phony email will take you to a website that looks exactly like Paypals website, and ask you to enter your paypal account information, including your credit card information. I'm not about give my credit card information to them again. If they want to shut me down, then have at it, but once the scammers have that information.....

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Paypal would never ask you to log in through some link. If in doubt log in normally and the ACTUAL site will say something.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone is dumb enough to actually log in thru an e-mail, ehhh, kind of deserve what they get.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wording is horrible. The grammar and usage are more horribler. At the very bottom of the email -- aaaall the way at the bottom -- it says this:

"Copyright & 1999-2019 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131."

It should look like this:

"Copyright © 1999-2019 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131."

Note the important difference.

Andy

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 5:56PM

It's pretty easy to understand why people get took. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 experiences for sneaker heads to comprehend things. People learn lessons from mistakes.

And it's not that hard to make a copyright symbol: ©

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    Paypal would never ask you to log in through some link. If in doubt log in normally and the ACTUAL site will say something.

This is what I do...