Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

A Few 1970 & 1975 Unopened Gems + 1951 Blue Backs Mostly PSA 9 Set + 1970 Hi End Set PSA 8/9/Raw

70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to consolidate my holdings a little bit and have 3 highly desirable pieces of vintage unopened and 2 high-end vintage sets available for sale. Prices are net to me via (whatever method) and insured shipping to buyer is included.

References are available for anyone who does not know me upon request.

I’ve tried to provide pics of all of the notable cards and items described, but if you want further pictures or have any questions please let me know and I’ll try to get you additional ones.

Thanks in advance for looking and Happy Holidays to all.

ITEMS 2 (1970 Rack) and 3 (1975 Mini Wax Box) are now sale pending.

ITEM 1: 1970 Topps Series 2 Cello Pack with Munson RC showing on Back (from Fritsch) $XXXX. WITHDRAWN

Vintage Breaks scooped up all the Series 2 Fritsch cellos on eBay a while ago and broke them all at $60/card ($1980/cello) advertising the possibility that someone might hit a Munson RC. This one HAS the Munson RC showing so there’s no leaving things to chance. OR IS THERE???

As if knowing 1 Munson RC is in the pack wasn't enough, as per the cutting sequence for 1970 cellos there should be another Munson RC 8 cards under the top card of the cello. Although quality control at Topps in 1970 was far from perfect, a significantly high percentage of the time the cello sequences were reliable.

ITEM 2: 1970 Topps Series 5 Rack Pack (BBCE Authenticated) $6,250.00

SOLD

Other than another Series 5 rack that was sold at auction by Mile High earlier this year there has not been a LEGITIMATE 1970 rack offered in years. I’m admittedly not pricing this one cheap, but given that its so hard to find a real 1970 rack from ANY series and that this one happens to be the series with just about all the low-pop major all-star cards (Yaz AS, Aaron AS, Bench AS) plus HOFers (Stargell, Aaron, Gibson and Morgan)

ITEM 3: 1975 Topps Mini Wax Box (from what is left of My Case) $6,750.00

SOLD

We broke 7 of the boxes from this case on the board back in 2011/2012 and they are the only breaks of 1975 minis I can recall where we ended up with consistently well-centered cards from the packs (check the thread history if you weren’t here when we did it). I know we pulled at least two PSA 9 Ryans in those breaks, and probably quite a few other high-end stars and low-pops.

I’ve been sitting on the rest of the case since then and I’ve decided to offer one of the boxes for sale now, albeit at a premium over what people have been paying for boxes full of poorly centered and mis-cut cards.

ITEM 4: 1951 Topps Blue Backs PSA 9/8 Set (43 PSA 9s and 9 PSA 8s) $XXXX

WITHDRAWN

This is the harder of the two 1951 Topps sets to assemble in high grade due to the unopened Red Back wax box find a few years back. The 1952 Topps are the officially recognized start of it all, but the 1951 Topps sets are where it truly began. Limited to only 52-subjects (because playing card decks on which the set was based only have 52-cards), this set has been overlooked by many collectors because it doesn’t contain all of the major stars of the day or full team sets. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that 1951 is where Topps really got its start, and that the Blue Back set is incredibly hard to find in this kind of grade.

This is currently the #7 set on the PSA Registry (was #6 until 12/29), consisting of 43 PSA 9 cards and 9 PSA 8 cards. VCP is approaching $10K. If sent to an auction house it would end up costing the buyer VCP+ (after the BP) and I’d net about 80%-85% of VCP. I’ll take about 90% of VCP and pay the shipping if someone wants it.

ITEM 5: 1970 Topps Master Set Graded & Raw PSA 8/9 Set (79 PSA 9s, 6 PSA 8.5s, 127 PSA 8s, 1 PSA 7 – Most Stars PSA 8/Raw Average ExMt) $XXXX

WITHDRAWN

This is the set that started it all for me back in the day, and many of these cards were actually purchased by me back in 1970. When I decided to build my first 1970 registry set I sent in many of my childhood cards and they came back in PSA 8 and PSA 9 slabs. I ended-up with a PSA 8/9 set and decided that I wanted to make it a full PSA 9 set. Therefore I started buying the PSA 9 upgrades I needed and set aside the cards being taken out of my primary set. I ended up with just over 200 graded cards, and I had just about all of the rest of the set raw and that is the genesis of this set.

The PSA 8 Stars and significant cards include – Jackson, Niekro, Munson (pulled this one myself from a Fritsch cello pack), Marichal, Jenkins, Carew, Jackson AS, Aaron AS, F Robinson AS, Bench AS, Marichal AS, Gibson, Mays (also pulled by me from a Fritsch pack), Banks, Kaline, Bench, Santo, F Robinson, Ryan, Wilhelm, NL HR LL, AL HR LL,
D Johnson (125), Checklist 3 (Red Bat), John, Checklist 5 (Baseball in White), Horton, Checklist 7 (Adolfo), Bowa RC

PSA 8.5 Stars – Stargell, Checklist 4 (Red Bat) and 3 high grade low-pops

PSA 9 Stars – Brock, Bunning, Checklist 6 (Brown), Checklist 6 (Grey), Powell, Pagan, AL Rookies (702)

The raw cards average a solid ExMt with some better and a few worse. They are mostly the cards from my childhood that I didn’t send in for grading after I cherry picked my cards when I started building the first registry set. And yes, I am somewhat OCD when it comes to centering and eye appeal as all of the images below will confirm ;)

Dave

Comments

• You have some of the most detailed, interesting "for sale" posts on the forum. Thank you sharing and good luck with the sale.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

Ttt

Dave
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need that #470 Willie Stargell to complete my HOF set.

• rehmlhrehmlh Posts: 14 ✭✭

Love the 51 Blue Back set. I might have to see if I can scrape together the money. Looks like you got bumped to number 7.

• Dave,
    Those sets are absolutely beautiful. You can easily see you took some time and care. Best of luck with your next endeavor.
    Phil

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2019 11:41AM

Wow these are incredible. Good luck with the sales.

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably blasphemy to talk about ripping vintage these days, but those minis from that case was one of the top rips we ever did.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible stuff. The 1970 rack is eye popping for sure. Congrats on selling it!
    Sick Munson pack too. Can't be many 1970 packs still intact showing that epic card....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

great post and stuff Dave--best of luck. If I were still buying unopenend the Munson pack would be history. .and whoever got the rack and mini box--great buys.