Home Q & A Forum
Options

1943 steel penny

Does anyone know what this 43 steel penny is? It has a open top 43 very small over the date. Was this stamped on the sheet before the planchets were PUNCHED? HAS anyone seen this coin?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 9:37AM
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Duplicate answer: That is a small hit on your coin that looks like a small "43."

• Options

The 43 is to much smaller than the date 43 and it has an open top to it, can't be a double strike... has anyone ever seen a 1943 penny like this?

• Options

@Jim59 said:
    The 43 is to much smaller than the date 43 and it has an open top to it, can't be a double strike... has anyone ever seen a 1943 penny like this?

I have not. It is "one-of-a-kind."

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you're seeing are contact marks or some other type of hit/damage above the date that appears to resemble numbers, but it's not. If you study the minting and die making processes, you'll easily understand that what you think you see couldn't have occurred at the mint.

If @Insider2 has never seen something like this over his long career, you can rest assured that you have a coin with unique damage. :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Hold on there. I see new things EVERY DAY! I saw 2 unusual things yesterday and two today. Imaged them for articles, posting, and class. I'm really puzzled today by an ornamental edge on a Brazil 960 Reis on an overstruck 8 Rls. Part of the Mexican coin is visible with an unknown edge type to me.

• Options

Could it have been stamped on the sheet before the planchets were done? Like before the zink went on?

• Options

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to keep it just for the heck of it... can I xray it to see if it is in the steel?

• Options

Jim, there are all sorts of "What if's" or "Could be's." The mint marks were put on the dies in Philadelphia. What if an engraver decided to take the "S" punch to make a San Francisco die and changed his mind. Nevertheless, he left a tiny hit on the coin in the wrong position when part of the "S" punch brushed the die. See what I mean?

You can believe anything you wish. I admire a person who does not believe the opinion of others until they become convinced for themselves. I'm that way too. Anyway, I'm leaving this discussion. You may wish to send your coin to PCGS for an "official" opinion. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting, Keep looking and good luck!

• Options

Thanks so much for your insight, I haven't been doing this long... I don't know why I like it, I just know I enjoy looking at coins and going through the rolls. Thanks insider...

• Options

Excellent example of numismatic integrity in this thread.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you are seeing is one of 3 things:
    1. A hit that coincidentally looks like the number "43" (likely)
    2. Someone carved 43 into the coin (likely)
    2. Someone counterstruck this coin, post mintage, with a 43 stamp. (unlikely)