Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you hope accomplish in the new 2020s decade (BESIDES the weight loss/diet/exercise cliches!)

EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 24, 2019 2:06AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I don't know about the rest of you but I always find it quite exciting when a new decade is coming, for obvious reasons.  Of course the dawn of the millennium was even more awesome still but now even that time seems so primitive in many ways even though "the year 2000" was often used as a synonym for the future!  And it's so hard to believe that we're already seeing people born 2000 or later coming of legal age!!  Granted I don't think we're gonna see a real life version of Super Baseball 2020 or the second to last level of Turtles in Time that takes place in 2020 looking anything like in the game but I digress.

So while under normal circumstances it'd be just a regular ol' New Years Resolution thread, I think this is very much an above and beyond kind of thing that only comes once every ten years.  But as much as I'm wondering what kinds of neat things we may see in the 2020s in terms of tech and gaming and such (especially retro gaming), it's also a double edge sword for me.  See is just so happens I was born on a zero year (1980) so the new decade means I turn an age that ends in 0...and this time it's one of the biggest ones of all and most dreaded...40   I mean turning 30 in 2010 was plenty bad enough but I can't be nearing the f-word already...it just feels way too soon, it just doesn't seem that long ago I graduated HS, college, got married, got our first kitty (1999/2003/2005/2010 respectively).   I mean I've been here and at NA for several years and I don't think I've really change all that much, have I?  My wife claims I have matured somewhat over the years but on that I definitely am not so sure! I mean I've been here since 2001 (back in my college days!) and I think I'm pretty much the same person then as now, right?

So what's on my wishlist (#6 is the trading card one) for what I hope to achieve in this new decade?  Well here's a few things...

1. You guys know I like reading those encyclopedia yearbooks?  Well so far I've done the World Book ones from 1961-87 and the Britannica ones (those are bigger and take longer) from 1961-75 so for the new decade I'll be starting the big bicentennial year (1976) for the Brittanica Books of the Year...say for that matter we'll be having the United States United States Semiquincentennial or 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in 2026!  Sure will be interesting to see what that kind of celebration will be like compared to 1976 and what kinds of neat commemorative coins and such we'll see!  Of course I sure hope sometime soon I might get some good quality 1940s/1950s Brittanica yearbooks!  Imagine reading about WWII as it was progressing and a current ongoing event at the time!

2. I've also been working on reading my local newspaper archive at newspapers.com  I chose to start with 1990 (I'm on around mid-May at the moment) because that was the year I became ten years old, moved to a new town I would stay at for the 90s until I went to UK and we did have some big things going on in our local area at the time as well.  For privacy reasons I'm not going to say which paper.  It's a local paper from KY, that's all you get to know!  

3. As far as video game stuff goes, I hope to pick up the Krizz version of the Sega CD Everdrive...that will be so exciting to be able to play Sega CD stuff as easily as you can Genesis/Master System games, and with apologies to the AVGN there are a few things on the Sega CD I do think are kinda interesting, like the Compton's Encyclopedia as their version of Wheel of Fortune (because the wheel is done just like on the actual game show, something we wouldn't see again until the N64 version) just to name a couple.  I also hope at some point to get a really nice PS1 sort of Everdrive that truly works as perfectly as the cartridge ones, doesn't cost a small fortune, and actually can use the real memory cards just like Nintendon't (GC "Everdrive" for the Wii) can.  I had always been mostly a Nintendo gamer though so I really should try harder to give the Genesis/Master System/PS1 some more love.  After all, didn't those who grow up in the mid-to-late 90s or so feel just as nostalgic for the PS1 as I do about the NES/SNES?

4. I think I'd like to take another and better crack at learning Japanese as well.  I just wish I had a better memory/recall because for whatever reason I just can't get that Hiragana/Katakana down cold like I should...and that's their version of their ABCs right?  And I'd think it shouldn't be much different than back in 2nd grade when we learned our times tables right?

5. I really wish I could get into Pokemon more...so far I've finished "Level 4" (out of eight Gym Bosses) for Red/Blue (G1)...maybe it'd help if I also did up to Level 4 of the GBA remakes and then go back to the Super Game Boy originals and do Levels 5-8?  Maybe it'd help make a little better sense of how the stuff in G1 works?  I mean this is a major part of video gaming history and I kinda owe it to myself to experience at least the first couple gens or so right?

6. My other main hobby is baseball/football/basketball/non-sports trading cards...and I hope to be able to do the 1971-1972 sets at least (PSA 7's for the HOFers/checklists and raw NRMT or better in binder/pages for the rest).  I currently have most of the key cards for 1973 but still need the remainder in raw NRMT or better in binder/pages...it's just tricky to find the right quality on Ebay...not to mention I very very seldom would have a few hundred dollars on hand to invest in it, so I'd have to be especially careful on choosing the right 1973 raw "near set". I also think it'd be neat to have a nice wax box collection too; I so far got 1986-92 Topps and 1992-93 Donruss. It's a start I suppose.

So that's just a few things I hope to achieve over the course of the 2020s...what about the rest of you?  And besides the weight loss/diet/exercise cliches! ;)

WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retirement. Then more active in buying/selling cards. Also to finish a run of Topps baseball sets in PSA 8 or higher from 1953-1976. 1952 is not realistic (maybe get the keys in lower grades) and 1953-54 may also be out of reach.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 6:20AM

I will continue to collect any and everything Joe Louis. Yes, my fascination with Joe Louis must continue. I will hunt down every Joe Louis item I can possibly find. I would also like to spy on the penguins in Antarctica, to see what they're really up to.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

All four of my children will have learned to drive by the close of the 2020's. I'd like to survive that!

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 8:00AM

@doubledragon said:
    I will continue to collect any and everything Joe Louis. Yes, my fascination with Joe Louis must continue. I will hunt down every Joe Louis item I can possibly find. I would also like to spy on the penguins in Antarctica, to see what they're really up to.

Are there any cards featuring Joe Louis and Frank Lucas together?

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

by the end of the decade.......... I am hoping to go through and sort my 5+ million card collection

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

Are there any cards featuring Joe Louis and Frank Lucas together?

Not that I know of. That would certainly be an interesting combination.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Continue to add to my Rookie HOF player collection (working on the NFL 100 now). Sell other parts of my collection to save space. Retire and stay healthy!

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will continue to upgrade the 1961 registry set, Hopefully get closer to finishing the 1958 registry set but the premium cards are going to be tough. I have to start selling off the rest of my collection that I don't plan on passing on to the boys. Most of all, continue to go to estate sales looking for treasures and making profits of the sales.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally finish my George Brett registry set, probably have to buy a few remaining cards raw that nobody bothers to
    submit very much and submit them myself. And work on a Willie Stargell registry set.

Also I will continue to follow doubledragon's posts because I'm fascinated by how he segues from talking
    about Joe Louis items to spying on penguins in Antarctica. :p
    Have a great new year doubleD, Estil, and everyone else!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Focusing on 2020, my goal for the year is to reach 25% completion in the Patrick Roy master set. I'm at about 6% now, with 22 psa 10s on their way from 4SC, and another 30+ from my PC currently at PSA. The set currently contains over 800 cards, but is a set in progress with PSA.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Trading or selling 90% of my collection for a nicely centered mid grade 52 Topps Mantle

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 11:07AM

Pack my joint to the rafters with unopened. And build a high end raw '78 OPC baseball set

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll keep mine collection related and only look at 2020:

PSA 2-5 1957 Parkhurst Henri Richard
    PSA 4-6 1958 Topps Jim Brown
    PSA 2-4 T206 or T205 Christy Mathewson
    nothing crazy, nothing outlandish. Nice looking cards can be found in those grades. Marathon, not a sprint. :)

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

By the end of the '20's I hope first of all to still be alive and breathing. In order to do that I need to get back to taking care of myself,lose weight and learn to eat right and not like I am a teenager.

At the end of the 20's I will be eligible to start receiving Social Security (assuming it is still available by then). A goal I have for the next ten years is to make retirement a viable option for both myself and my wife by saving as much as we can while still enjoying life. I am a believer in the good Lord above and I know he will provide but I would also like to put some money away where I dont have to be a greeter at Wal Mart in my golden years like I watched my dad do.

I would like to have been to at least the 48 contiguous 48 states before the end of the 20's. I am half way there and cannot wait to see what the next decade holds for myself and my wife.

I pray that my wife will see the end of the decade as she has had two bouts with cancer and, while she is fully cleared now one just never knows. Again, trusting in God on this one as well.

As for hobby related goals, I plan on completing the '56 Topps baseball set I have been working on for two years within the next 18 months. I will then turn my attention to the 73-78 Topps baseball sets that I built as a kid and move on to another vintage set. So if I had to guess I would say I would have all of the above sets completed and the 57' Topps baseball and football set completed by the end of the decade.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll continue to go where the wind blows me. Main focus will be unopened, refining my museum with more and more unique pieces. One specific item I will be hunting this year that will remain nameless until I get it has something to do with rack packs.

Andy

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

I recently learned that little fluffy intends to devour my corpse. I already knew he shed no tears when my hand was blown off at the mailbox. https://washingtonpost.com/science/2020/01/15/heres-compelling-evidence-that-your-cat-might-eat-your-corpse/

But otherwise 2020 is going swimmingly.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 8:00AM

@thunderdan said:
    I recently learned that little fluffy intends to devour my corpse. I already knew he shed no tears when my hand was blown off at the mailbox. https://washingtonpost.com/science/2020/01/15/heres-compelling-evidence-that-your-cat-might-eat-your-corpse/

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Try again, Estil. You can do better than that.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 3:11PM

@thunderdan said:

Try again, Estil. You can do better than that.

Okay...

WISHLIST
  • Options

I vow to keep all lettuce and lettuce related products out of my home! Vile weed!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone always tries to lose weight - just don’t get it. See a friend for the first time in a year and they have dropped 20-30 lbs and people go “wow Steve, you look great. How much weight did you lose?” How come nobody ever goes up to a friend or family member after the holidays when they gain 15-20 lbs and says “man Jimmy you added 20 lbs. Way to go!” 😄

KC

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread idea Estil!

McCardguy1 nailed it. Health, happiness and an awesome quality of life with our loved ones while setting the foundation for a secure retirement. What’s more important? Sprinkle in the hobby here and there and I would be thrilled with that outcome.

While not saving for said Retirement and spending on that quality of life (NOLA this weekend with friends), I hope that I am able to continue to grow my unopened collection and find enjoyment in other segments of the hobby like I’ve done in recent years. Player collecting Judge, Sanchez and Bregman and adding modern unopened to my 70s/80s unopened collection has been a lot of fun. While I wish I had held off for a year or 2 on this stuff and hoarded more of my core older unopened, I am fortunate that I have found a source of available product that appeals to me and scratches the ever present collecting itch.

Hope to continue to really enjoy the hobby by being creative, but not too scattered.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 4:26PM

I vow to be the guitar player who takes Rick Willis's spot in Def Leppard and also eliminate all remaining sports card and associated collectibles from the closet that there is no chance could prove worthy of submitting for grading and just takes up space. Need to get down to simply wall framed graded greatness and what's not on the wall, it be placed in very organized storage cases. I have moved in to the mode of 'how stupid that I save some of this stuff' mode.

See me on tour people, in Def Leppard soon.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:

Looking forward to it!

• Options

@Horse said:
    I vow to be the guitar player who takes Rick Willis's spot in Def Leppard and also eliminate all remaining sports card and associated collectibles from the closet that there is no chance could prove worthy of submitting for grading and just takes up space. Need to get down to simply wall framed graded greatness and what's not on the wall, it be placed in very organized storage cases. I have moved in to the mode of 'how stupid that I save some of this stuff' mode.

I love Def Leppard. I saw them in concert in Greensboro years ago, and they tore it up. I love all of there albums, Hysteria, Pyromania, High 'n' Dry. Great stuff🖒

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

The 20's for me are gonna be exciting. I'm gonna graduate this year from college in December with a double major in Accounting and Trust & Wealth Management. By next year, I wanna start my career either as a bank examiner, auditor, or wherever I find a job. Looking to enjoy my 20's and see what the decade has to bring me. Nice not having to worry about a relationship at this point and can focus on buying baseball cards :D .

As far as collecting wise, I am almost done with my 1969 set that I started last year. Just need Reggie Jackson rookie card and Mickey Mantle. By the end of this year, I would like to finish 69, 73,72,71 and possibly 70. Once I finish those sets, I will try to get rolling on my 1960 set I randomly started. That will take me a couple of years to do and not gonna rush it. My next sets I have in mind after that is either start a 1956 set or 1957 set. Those are my favorite sets from the 50s. The biggest rookie card I want to have eventually during this decade is Hank Aaron and Mike Trout.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I hope to continue to pile up unopened from the early to mid 80's, all of the stuff I loved as a kid but couldn't afford then. Nothing hugely expensive, but stuff that is fun to have and look at. I have a thing for mid-80's Topps grocery racks, so I will probably continue to hoard them much to my wife's dismay... :)
    kevin