Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Mexico commemorative medal

CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2019 2:39PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I came across this coin, and it has me stumped. 2 days of on and off research.
All my-coworker found, was a web page with a gold coin just like it.
It is sterling silver.
Anyone have any idea what it is or what it comes from? Thank you!

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2019 3:12PM

Benito Juarez, the President of Mexico, died in 1872. He was somewhat the Mexican equivalent of The USA's Abraham Lincoln - both rose from humble circumstances and led their countries through Wars which threatened the continuation of their respective Republics.

Many medals were issued on the centennial of Juarez's death in 1972.

I can't find my Mexican book for these. The piece you have does seem to have a lot of marks/scratches - perhaps an old attempt at cleaning.

I did find one link, which is a little funky. Keep scrolling down until you get to the right place! I believe that the price shown is in Mexican Pesos, not U.S. Dollars:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-614575411-medalla-juarez-casa-de-moneda-queretaro-1972-1-oz-plata-_JM

I would treat this like an ounce of silver round, with problems from an old cleaning.

• CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Benito Juarez, the President of Mexico, died in 1872. He was somewhat the Mexican equivalent of The USA's Abraham Lincoln - both rose from humble circumstances and led their countries through Wars which threatened the continuation of their respective Republics.

Many medals were issued on the centennial of Juarez's death in 1972.

I can't find my Mexican book for these. The piece you have does seem to have a lot of marks/scratches - perhaps an old attempt at cleaning.

I did find one link, which is a little funky. Keep scrolling down until you get to the right place! I believe that the price shown is in Mexican Pesos, not U.S. Dollars:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-614575411-medalla-juarez-casa-de-moneda-queretaro-1972-1-oz-plata-_JM

I would treat this like an ounce of silver round, with problems from an old cleaning.

wow!
    thank you, I appreciate that a lot.
    I found it interesting that i could not find
    a thing on this coin.
    Thanks again!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2019 4:39PM

If you Google 'Juarez centennial medal 1972'. You will get lots of photos/mages of Medals and other information.

Juarez is extremely high in the Mexican Pantheon of Heroes.

• CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

you know, i tried everything i could, just didnt do enough haha.
    and i tried to google that but nothing came up :(