Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

? about Topps variation cards of players

I have taken a leap to complete a Master Topps Set of a certain player. I am astounded at the crazy amount of variation cards contained in the set. It goes from refractor, xfractor, chrome, pink, blue, purple, orange, black, gold, copper refractor, chrome gold, chrome black refractor...it goes on and on and on.

My question is, where were these variation cards found? Were there special sets, or special inserts into yearly Topps sets?

Some of the Allen & Ginter cards had regular backs, Ginter backs, Bazooka backs and ad backs, not to mention minis and black borderd cards...the front is the same pic. Obviously a money maker for Topps during that time, but was just curious how they sold these variations, obviously they weren't single card sales.

I would think some of these cards are indeed rare...as it sits, I'm right at 30 cards short, and it'll probably be a long time before and if I complete the set, but fun so far.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2019 5:20PM

I collect Killebrew and even with his career ending 45 years ago, I am finding new cards to add to the Master set.

In fact I just got one today to send to PSA. White back version of a send in, hand cut, team card from 1975.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I find it frustrating with all the variations. Did you know there are 284 Cards in the Shohei Ohtani Rookie Set? 54 by Panini alone! I really think that is out of control. PSA should put some realistic guidelines on what can be in a set. I’ve decided to quit building the Ohtani set and save for a Mantle Card.

Ray
    Interested in anything Jim Fregosi

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 11:28AM

It is insane how many variations there are nowadays. There's a card for every color in the spectrum, and you got the print runs also /100, /75, /50, /25, /15 /10 /5 and 1/1. Then like you said, you got the different back variations. It's insane.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RayH said:
    I find it frustrating with all the variations. Did you know there are 284 Cards in the Shohei Ohtani Rookie Set? 54 by Panini alone! I really think that is out of control. PSA should put some realistic guidelines on what can be in a set. I’ve decided to quit building the Ohtani set and save for a Mantle Card.

From what I can see, there's only 63 needed for the Ohtani Rookie set: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/rookie-player-sets/shohei-ohtani-rookie-set/composition/17562

PSA guidelines are documented: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/setrequests

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RayH said:

This is why I stopped collecting the new cards, just too many of the same thing with a different color tint or serial number.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally love the parallels for my player collections. With that said, my modern player collections are all ungraded, I might feel differently if I were chasing the parallels and then grading them as well.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach