Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

How hard is it to get...

A strap of new consecutively numbered $1 or $2 bills from a bank? Do they insist on running the bills through a counter first? Would like to get one for a gift.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all banks. I recently picked up a strap of $2s and asked that they all be gently hand counted.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, varies from bank to bank as to what they can get and also depends on your relationship with the bank.

Once had a bank that could order $2s for me but had to order 1000 pcs at a time and always got new ones that they didn't count. Just sold to me as a sealed package. More recently, I knew the head teller at a bank who was able to order "fit" or "new" currency, so I was able to request new packs. My present bank looks at me like I'm crazy now when I ask if they can order "new" currency.

Tellers are usually happy to get rid of "odd" currency like half dollars, dollar coins and $2 bills. It makes it easier to reconcile their drawers. However, you won't get new currency this way.

Call a few banks and you should be able to find new notes.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.