Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thomas Spence Token

Zsz524Zsz524 Posts: 2
edited December 17, 2019 7:35AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hoping that someone might be able to identify this Thomas Spence Token that I found. I have been unable to find an exact match on google so im thinking that it may be pretty rare. Anything that you can tell me will be very helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Very nice example! Thomas Spence was a radical who minted a large variety of tokens with political messages and images. He was an advocate for free land and small farms. In addition to his tokens, which sell quite well in the marketplace, he also countermarked coins with his beliefs. The countermarks consist of 27 words or phrases which he mixed and matched.
    Your token has 7 of his countermarks which a is really nice find. They rarely show up in auctions and I do not keep track of their appearance in auctions.
    Less collectible than his tokens, it might draw interest from an advanced collector. If I had to guess it might go for 80-150 pounds in a token auction.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. This is why I dig thru tins and boxes of odds and ends. They're out there. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thanks both for the help!)