Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry composition ?

How does PSA determine which cards go into which player sets? To clarify...am I correct when assuming that all sets have, at some point, been submitted for review by PSA from members?

I see Basic Sets, Topps Basic Sets, Topps Master Sets, "player" Master Sets...and the compositions (other than exclusively a Topps composition), have some pretty crazy variziations. I see several cards that apply in both sets...however, basic sets do not include variations. Seeing a pink Xfractor card is a bit strange...clearly an attempt at making more $$ for the issuer, as the exact same picture is reprinted as chrome, refractor, xfractor, blue, pink, emerald, black and it goes on and on.

Having recently jumped in on a Master Topps set of a player, I now find that PSA disqualifies certain Topps cards within the set, even though they were made by Topps. Does anyone know the rule for such exclusions? And, do you have any insight as to how all these various sets are actually created...beyond someone sending in a request?

My player does not have a basic Topps set, so, do I just load up a ton of Topps cards (of which I have many, many 10s), send in the request and off we go? Really a repetition and probably won't do it.

I realize this is a bit disjointed, but would appreciate any info regarding compositon creations and why PSA would deny a Topps made card in a Master Topps set.

Tks

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please give an example. OPC cards aren’t eligible for master Topps sets. Additionally, I know Coke and Burger King cards, for example, have not been allowed in the past, even though they’re manufactured by Topps.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2005 Finest, #40 of David Ortiz is not allowed in the David Ortiz Master Topps set. This is a Topps product, the Topps logo is on the front and back of card.
    Prior to my jumping into the fray, I was told by PSA that ALL Topps produced cards would be allowed. Why else would I get this card in a PSA 10?

Interestingly, this card IS allowed in the David Ortiz Master Set. I guess all Master Sets would allow anything. The Master Set has 445 cards in it, tons of Donruss, Fleer, Ultra, Bowman, Pinnacle, Score, Upper Deck, Leaf, Zenith and Panini. Certainly no OPCs, Coke, or Burger King stuff.

• Options

Yes, master sets allow everything. Not sure about why they don’t allow Finest in Topps Master.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOT allowed in the Harmon Killebrew Master Set.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Only ONE is allowed in Harmon Killebrew Master Set!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Joe, all those examples are absurd!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

I actually got all three Punchouts in the Master set for a period of time, but got notified that PSA was changing it to allow only one!?

The cereal box was particularly disappointing as I felt it was a key addition to my set. Bazooka and Transogram complete boxes are acceptable, but this one is not.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

I don't do master sets. After seeing those awesome punch-outs I was wondering what is in a master killer set.
    Joe I must say what a spectacular set. All in high grade. It's not the cards that always impress me. Don't get me wrong they do.....but we knew that back then. It is the odd ball stuff like the P-O that we probably threw away and now they are highly desired.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DBesse27 said:

I actually got all three Punchouts in the Master set for a period of time, but got notified that PSA was changing it to allow only one!?

The cereal box was particularly disappointing as I felt it was a key addition to my set. Bazooka and Transogram complete boxes are acceptable, but this one is not.

What reason did they give for not including the cereal box??

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DBesse27 said:

What reason did they give for not including the cereal box??

I can't remember exactly, something like it was the only one graded?

I apologize for not remembering it was complete BS in my opinion. We all know the cards were on these boxes, they graded it as authentic, so that means it's not a fake.

• Options

I’m new to the PSA Forum, Does PSA respond to questions from here?

Ray
    Interested in anything Jim Fregosi

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RayH said:
    I’m new to the PSA Forum, Does PSA respond to questions from here?

No.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    The 2005 Finest, #40 of David Ortiz is not allowed in the David Ortiz Master Topps set. This is a Topps product, the Topps logo is on the front and back of card.
    Prior to my jumping into the fray, I was told by PSA that ALL Topps produced cards would be allowed. Why else would I get this card in a PSA 10?

Interestingly, this card IS allowed in the David Ortiz Master Set. I guess all Master Sets would allow anything. The Master Set has 445 cards in it, tons of Donruss, Fleer, Ultra, Bowman, Pinnacle, Score, Upper Deck, Leaf, Zenith and Panini. Certainly no OPCs, Coke, or Burger King stuff.

I haven't seen it in writing, but from what I've gathered "Topps" has to be on the flip to be considered for the Topps Master sets. Bizarre, but that's the way it seems.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 7:44AM

@jay0791 said:
    I don't do master sets. After seeing those awesome punch-outs I was wondering what is in a master killer set.
    Joe I must say what a spectacular set. All in high grade. It's not the cards that always impress me. Don't get me wrong they do.....but we knew that back then. It is the odd ball stuff like the P-O that we probably threw away and now they are highly desired.

Thanks for the kind words!

When I started the set, I figured the entire Killebrew collection would consist of about 20 cards, one from every year he played.

Because of my OCD mind, I decided to get EVERY card I could find. Thankfully, I live in Minnesota and a lot of the "oddball" stuff got saved and was pretty cheap in the 1990's.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, your Killebrew collection is amazing! I love when you share your rarities.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Joe, your Killebrew collection is amazing! I love when you share your rarities.

Thanks for the kind words!