Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Probable counterfeit - please report to eBay

The below link is a probable 1917 Soveriegn counterfeit. I cannot log into eBay to report it. Will someone advise them ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-GOLD-FULL-SOVEREIGN-LONDON-MINT/283709101229?hash=item420e6154ad:g:-GQAAOSwHU9d85Ba

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

what do you base your suspicions on?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surfaces not right, strike not right, "denticles" and edges not right, etc.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think what the world would be like if all the "do-goods" went around reporting folks because the were probably doing something unlawful. Oops, we are getting there. I better put out my smoke in my paper cup of sugar drink with a plastic straw!

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2019 4:17AM

@Insider2 said:
    Think what the world would be like if all the "do-goods" went around reporting folks because the were probably doing something unlawful. Oops, we are getting there. I better put out my smoke in my paper cup of sugar drink with a plastic straw!

The surface does not look right to me - that is why I said probable. This is a rare coin that Usually commands 10K+ In decent condition. Every listing that I've seen on eBay, and there has been a few, for this coin have been counterfeit. I am not saying the seller is a crook. I'm asking for a second opinion. There are some very good fakes and some not so good fakes that have fooled dealers on this forum.

As for smoking, sugar drinks and straws - be my guest. I'm concerned about people being taken advantage of or getting hurt.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@Insider2 said:

The surface does not look right to me - that is why I said probable. This is a rare coin that Usually commands 10K+ In decent condition. Every listing that I've seen on eBay, and there has been a few, for this coin have been counterfeit. I am not saying the seller is a crook. I'm asking for a second opinion. There are some very good fakes and some not so good fakes that have fooled dealers on this forum.

As for smoking, sugar drinks and straws - be my guest. I'm concerned about people being taken advantage of or getting hurt.

While the coin cannot be judged to be 100% genuine in the poor image,

PLEASE REPORT!

reads much differently than asking for opinions!

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Exbrit said:

@Insider2 said:

While the coin cannot be judged to be 100% genuine in the poor image,

PLEASE REPORT!

reads much differently than asking for opinions!

The please report as probable. It's up to eBay to decide whether or not they want to review the matter. It is only a flag for them.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2019 9:14AM

An MS61 sold at Heritage for $23,500 in 2015... one in MS65 broke $50k this year... so, yeah, this is probably a counterfeit and Insider2 probably didn't realize that this isn't just any random gold sovereign.

Thanks for the tip, Exbrit! I agree, it looks highly suspect.

Edit - I love that eBay only allows 100 characters to describe why you're reporting an item. Ugh.

• Options

@spoon said:
    An MS61 sold at Heritage for $23,500 in 2015... one in MS65 broke $50k this year... so, yeah, this is probably a counterfeit and Insider2 probably didn't realize that this isn't just any random gold sovereign.

Thanks for the tip, Exbrit! I agree, it looks highly suspect.

Edit - I love that eBay only allows 100 characters to describe why you're reporting an item. Ugh.

Actually, I looked at the image and the coin did not look 100% genuine to me either. HOWEVER, the image does not magnify enough to be 100% sure. A good authenticator who knows his/her abilities has 3 choices: 100% Genuine. !00% Counterfeit. OR No Decision.

At each authentication service I worked at before 1998, we were able to hold any No Decision UNTIL we were 100% positive - good or bad. We learned a lot by this approach and the submitter wanted us to reach a decision. In several cases over the decades, we were still not able to reach the 100% positive - stand up in a court decision. In too many cases to mention all the nationally-known "Experts" turned out to be wrong. That's why I value the opinions of "Ex-Perts" even less.

Hopefully, the issue of that coin will be solved.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2019 1:19AM

OK, they have some bad pictures and we need to see it in hand, etc. but not necessary in this case IMHO.

This one??? No! We do NOT need to beg off.

The reverse is worst and there are many details that support this, but the edges are atrocious.
    George and the horse are wrong in contours and relative size to the planchet. The edges are very bad - these are not technically denticles but see for example from 5 -10 o'clock on the obverse and the general execution of it on obverse as well as reverse.
    I could go on and on, but this coin fails at so many levels. Not that it matters, but for many years it was me that was responsible consultant for the 19th and 20th C. Great Britain pre-decimals for Krause and so am giving my feed. Insider 2 doubtlessly has tremendous experience, but I gather not with this issue.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 Perhaps you have not looked at enough soveriegns? Bad picture or not, 1 look at that coin screams counterfeit...regardless of the date!