Home Sports Talk

Rendon to Angels

arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

7 / $245 million.

Bummed about the Angels snagging him.

Happy for him though and all those holding Trout cards.

Boras is sleeping well these days.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it will be tough to repeat the same numbers from last year. Usually a common practice to have a monster season, sign a ridiculous contract then post about have the numbers in first year of said contract. But hey at least it wasn’t for North of 300 Million 🤷‍♂️

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another money chasing traitor. No loyalty anymore...….none....zilch.....nada......zero!!!

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Lots of deep pockets in MLB.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

A crazy contract to give rendon. If you check out his numbers, last year looks like more of an outlier than part of a trend. He is 29 now, I don't see him improving in his 30's. A bad contract in my opinion

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    A crazy contract to give rendon. If you check out his numbers, last year looks like more of an outlier than part of a trend. He is 29 now, I don't see him improving in his 30's. A bad contract in my opinion

He doesn't have to improve. Do the same thing he's done the last three years - great hitting, elite defense - and call it good. Home run numbers were up last year thanks to the juiced ball - but otherwise not a big jump over the two years prior.

$35m is a lot to pay but he should be really, really good for several more years. And Trout has to be ecstatic.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Just another money chasing traitor. No loyalty anymore...….none....zilch.....nada......zero!!!

Apparently you didn't watch the Nationals front office dog him w/ offers all year long. They chose Stras AND could of had Rendon for the exact same amount as Stras, exact same as the Angels paid him. Rendon just didn't want deferred money. And rightfully so. He just won them a freaking championship. They made that money in merchandising, licensing, tv already.

No offense to Stras, but considering how much he's been hurt, I think they are gonna regret who they gave the 245 mil contract to in a year or two.

Fletcher graciously slides to #22, Rendon retains #6.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that Rendon will be seen (by Angels fans) as overpaid from the get go, and grossly overpaid in a few years. He's a very good hitter, but he's moving from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park so he's going to have to get better just to put up the same numbers. He is not anywhere close to as good a hitter as Trout (Rendon's best season would be Trout's worst) and he's nothing special in the field. Plus the Angels have a good third baseman, who I guess they will have to move somewhere else. His greatest value to the Angels is giving them someone to hit behind Trout, but adding Rendon only gets the Angels about 20% of what they need to be competitive. They would have gotten a lot more bang for the megabucks spending that money on two or three good, not great, starting pitchers.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    edited December 14, 2019 5:10PM

This is absolutely hilarious.

Except for the pitching that the Angels desperately need part.

@dallasactuary said:
    My guess is that Rendon will be seen (by Angels fans) as overpaid from the get go, and grossly overpaid in a few years. He's a very good hitter, but he's moving from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park so he's going to have to get better just to put up the same numbers. He is not anywhere close to as good a hitter as Trout (Rendon's best season would be Trout's worst) and he's nothing special in the field. Plus the Angels have a good third baseman, who I guess they will have to move somewhere else. His greatest value to the Angels is giving them someone to hit behind Trout, but adding Rendon only gets the Angels about 20% of what they need to be competitive. They would have gotten a lot more bang for the megabucks spending that money on two or three good, not great, starting pitchers.

Nothing special in the field, he says.

Not sure what indicators you determine to say "he's not anywhere close to as good as a hitter as Trout" but the pitchers park doesn't mean a thing. His nickname is Tony Two-bags, not Tony Four-bags but he is about as clutch as it gets. Proven such during the regular season and....ut-um, post season. Not only that, Trouts probably gonna be batting in front of him. Two-bags will be knocking him in all season long, making fish’s numbers look better (not the other way around) and will most likely help Trout to his, ut-um first eventual post season win.

Rendon already has his ring. All Fish has had is...suffe-ring.

But of course you also think Fletcher is a good third basemen. However, you did guess right! They are gonna have to find a place for him. Why? And let’s come back down to this rock for just a quick sec...”good” third basemen don't give up their base or their jersey number. And they d@mn sure dont give up both!

Case closed on that one.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artee said:
    This is absolutely hilarious.

Except for the pitching that the Angels desperately need part.

@dallasactuary said:

Nothing special in the field, he says.

Not sure what indicators you determine to say "he's not anywhere close to as good as a hitter as Trout" but the pitchers park doesn't mean a thing. His nickname is Tony Two-bags, not Tony Four-bags but he is about as clutch as it gets. Proven such during the regular season and....ut-um, post season. Not only that, Trouts probably gonna be batting in front of him. Two-bags will be knocking him in all season long, making fish’s numbers look better (not the other way around) and will most likely help Trout to his, ut-um first eventual post season win.

Rendon already has his ring. All Fish has had is...suffe-ring.

But of course you also think Fletcher is a good third basemen. However, you did guess right! They are gonna have to find a place for him. Why? And let’s come back down to this rock for just a quick sec...”good” third basemen don't give up their base or their jersey number. And they d@mn sure dont give up both!

Case closed on that one.

If I picture you posting this drunk it makes me laugh.

If I picture you posting this sober, it makes me cry.

I'll assume you were drunk. It's the use of "ut-um" - twice! - that tilts the scale.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

picture me rollin’

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the Twins would spend some money.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

On the team or on the bridges to get to the stadium? 😉

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pohlad.............rhymes with sad.

Stadium is nice, of course taxpayers paid for a lot of it. I usually take the train on the rare occasion I go to a game.

:-(

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set