Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cap and Rays 8 Reales pricing help

Stopped by my local coin shop today to offload my silent auction wins and surprisingly he had a coin that caught my eye. Raw 1849 Pi-AM 8 Reales in what looks like a mid-AU grade with decent luster and unmessed surfaces. I'll stop by tomorrow to take some phone pics but wanted to get a sense of market value before talking prices with the owner.

Thoughts from the cap and ray aficionados? Not a common coin by any means and my quick search didnt help place the value.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure as to a price, but here is what it says in Resplandores:

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a ngc xf example that sold for around $2300 April 2016 heritage

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, went back today and looked at it out of the flip under some OTT lights and i'm just going to go ahead and say that except for the date and assayer, it's none of the things I said before. Not sure if it's the dim lighting or if i finally need glasses, but the coin I saw today is more of an XF40, secondary toning, with a few hits on the obverse and a small, but significant enough cut on the leg on the reverse. Still a rare coin, but not as big of a find as I originally thought. I'll post photos shortly. Took a few videos, as well, if anyone wants to see. I did have a nice chat with the owner about it and looks like he's willing to come down in pricing, but it's not something for me. If anyone here is interested - send me a DM and i'll put you in touch with the guy.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an okay coin, I could find a slot for it in a red 2x2 coin box if the price was right.

Nowadays I too gotta take my cheaters to the coin shop, coin show or flea market!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your a good grader of world coins and I trust what you saw.

That cut on the eagles leg bothers me too.

Still a very rare date for this series .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.