Home Sports Talk

Lamar Jackson hit 158 times this year

Lamar Jackson has been hit at least 40 more times than any other QB thus far this year (ESPN). Josh Allen is 2nd. How long can he keep this up and when does the coach start limiting his designed running plays? I love watching this guy and believe he has improved immensely since last year. Since he is in his 2nd year, I can’t help thinking that his football career will be shortened significantly if he continues to run at this pace.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to play to win.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

He needs to at least slide to protect himself better.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

he actually got dinged last weekend, but ironically it didn't happen when he took off. he hung in the pocket and made a throw that resulted in a long touchdown...........but a defender tagged him low right after he released the ball and he injured his quad

he's playing tomorrow night tho

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He definitely won't have a long career running like he does. Look at the career's of the other running QB's.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking records and throwing another 5 TD’s last night 🤷‍♂️

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Breaking records and throwing another 5 TD’s last night 🤷‍♂️

Ravens will be a tough out in the Playoffs

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's going to sound funny to hear it, but next weeks game against Cleveland will give a good snapshot of where the Ravens are, how far they have come this season and what Teams might do against them in the playoffs. the Browns beat the Ravens in week four 40-25 and the game really wasn't even close. for whatever reason, Baltimore has trouble with their Conference rival since Jackson has taken over, last years season finale was a close game and provided the blueprint for stopping him.

there is a reason why scrambling QB's don't tend to be successful and all it takes is one solid, unexpected hit to highlight that fact. with Baltimore we have no idea what comes up if Jackson goes down.

edited December 14, 2019 9:44AM

If Jax goes down so does Baltimore. I don’t think anyone can dispute that fact, the following game against Cleveland really doesn’t matter to Baltimore I don’t believe, they clinched home field I assume? They are not playing for anything I dont think, if this is the case I don’t think Jax will be on the field much unless Harbaugh wants to imitate Belichick and keep Jax in for the whole game and allow him to run the ball carelessly deep into the 4th quarter.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 5:37AM

the biggest shot i've seen him absorb all season long was last night when, ironically, he broke Mike Vick's single-season record

what i'm dying to witness is him bust one in the secondary from deep in his own end of the field and see if any d-backs from the opposing team can suck him up. i have my doubts, because to my eyes he always looks like the fastest guy on the field

@galaxy27 said:
    the biggest shot i've seen him absorb all season long was last night when, ironically, he broke Mike Vick's single-season record

what i'm dying to witness is him bust one in the secondary from deep in his own end of the field and see if any d-backs from the opposing team can suck him up. i have my doubts, because to my eyes he always looks like the fastest guy on the field

Yes, I also witnessed that shot he took when he broke Vick's record. I couldn't help but cringe. I'm just not sure he can take many more shots like that. I would also like to see his long distance speed vs a defensive back, that would be pay per view worthy.

@perkdog said:
    If Jax goes down so does Baltimore. I don’t think anyone can dispute that fact, the following game against Cleveland really doesn’t matter to Baltimore I don’t believe, they clinched home field I assume? They are not playing for anything I dont think, if this is the case I don’t think Jax will be on the field much unless Billick wants to imitate Belichick and keep Jax in for the whole game and allow him to run the ball carelessly deep into the 4th quarter.

I would definitely sit him down if they've clinched home field. It would be insane to risk it as much as he runs. He took quite a shot in that Jets game last night on the record breaking run.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue with Jackson is not if, but when he runs into a mack truck. he is somewhat slightly built to begin with. He is listed at 212, but at this point in the season, I would be surprised if he is over 200. His ability to scramble will deteriorate. The question remains, how efficient of a passer will he be once the wheels are no longer there? He shows great accuracy between the hash marks and he ranks #9 in clean pocket completion percentage.

However, that is where things begin to break down. He only ranks #29th in deep ball completion percentage and when pressured, he ranks #27 in completion percentage. when his ability to scramble is diminished, and he is presented with more traditional defensive schemes, we will see how advanced of a passer he is. When teams are able to increase there blitz packages and bring more pressure without the fear of his scrambling, he will need to adjust. He is still young, and may very well be able to adjust when his game changes. I think at this point though, if he were unable to scramble as he is now, I highly doubt he would be an effective pocket passer.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@galaxy27 said:

Yes, I also witnessed that shot he took when he broke Vick's record. I couldn't help but cringe. I'm just not sure he can take many more shots like that. I would also like to see his long distance speed vs a defensive back, that would be pay per view worthy.

When I'm watching him he looks like the best athlete and the fastest guy on the field. Maybe not straight away speed but football fast.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    If Jax goes down so does Baltimore. I don’t think anyone can dispute that fact, the following game against Cleveland really doesn’t matter to Baltimore I don’t believe, they clinched home field I assume? They are not playing for anything I dont think, if this is the case I don’t think Jax will be on the field much unless Billick wants to imitate Belichick and keep Jax in for the whole game and allow him to run the ball carelessly deep into the 4th quarter.

did you recycle this from 2011? Billick?

edited December 14, 2019 9:44AM

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

did you recycle this from 2011? Billick?

Your right! I meant Harbaugh. Thank you, I made the appropriate edit☝️