Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CAN ANYONE HELP IDENTIFY THIS COIN/METAL

may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I can see its something from Paris and I recognize the arch of Titus on the front. After that I have not found anything with a similar reverse

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arc de Triomphe, not Arch Of Titus...

Paris seal with ship, seal used since 14th Century...

A very typical French tourist type of medal! Unlikely to be expensive, or particularly identifiable...

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look around the 1500-1600

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited December 10, 2019 1:05PM

No, that medal is late 20th Century and based upon low quality likely made in China. Touristy stuff.

The Arc de Triomphe wasn't finished off until the reign of Louis-Phillipe about 1840. It was finally completed about the time Napoleon's body was returned from St. Helena.

Go up to the Marche aux Puces (Flea Market) at the Porte de Clignancourt in the north part of Paris and they have inexpensive small medals in white metal for sale by the scowload!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 2:48PM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    No, that medal is late 20th Century and based upon low quality likely made in China. Touristy stuff.

The Arc de Triomphe wasn't finished off until the reign of Louis-Phillipe about 1840. It was finally completed about the time Napoleon's body was returned from St. Helena.

Go up to the Marche aux Puces (Flea Market) at the Porte de Clignancourt in the north part of Paris and they have inexpensive small medals in white metal for sale by the scowload!

Bonus points if anyone knows what a "scow" is. :p

• Options

Soon the garbage scows will be over-loaded with discarded Christmas wrapping paper and packaging!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Bonus points if anyone knows what a "scow" is. :p

The floating barge thingy that might go over the Niagara Falls soon, been there on a rock since 1918 but recently dislodged by a storm.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, it is a cheap tourist souvenir that has had an attached ring removed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that divot at 12 o'clock also. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you all