Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian 1948 50 cents. Would it be worth my while...

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

to break this coin out from this holder and send it raw to PCGS for grading? :)
If so, what grade could I reasonably expect?
thank you all

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far as grade goes, who knows, it is all about some unknown grader's opinion at a point in time. Unless there is some real economic gain to result from such a crackout then I would just leave it as is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    So far as grade goes, who knows, it is all about some unknown grader's opinion at a point in time. Unless there is some real economic gain to result from such a crackout then I would just leave it as is.

There's a huge upside if, for example, this went from MS64 to MS65 - $810 CAD in 64 vs. $1,970 CAD in 65, according to coinsandcanada.com. It's a beautiful coin!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is a huge upside price jump then expect grading standards to be tough. I see it as a 64 not a 65.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the 64 rating - that cheek bothers me slightly and drops this down to the 64 from 65. Reverse is better. I have a 63 that is not quite as nice but booming lustre and similar miscellaneous field marks.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad about that pox mark on the cheek. Nice coin otherwise. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would urge you to keep it in its current holder and submit for crossover as long as the holder does not obscure the ability to easily view the coin. Keeping it in the current holder limits the possibility of it being damaged during removal and shipping. It has also been my experience that PCGS will happily cross at grade or upgrade coins from other services that meet or exceed their current standards. I realize other folks might disagree, but it really depends upon the quality of what you submit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thank you all, the coin is currently graded NGC MS63

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    Thank you all, the coin is currently graded NGC MS63

That's a very nice 63.

• Options

Thank you,
    IMO itis a 64 and wishful thinking maybe more....miracles have happened....

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are more attractive than the holder. An upgrade on this rests on the fields and how clean they may be in hand. The portrait looks good except the significant dig. So if the one dig is offset by the other positive qualities, an upgrade is possible but still a crapshoot. FWIIW, I like the coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.