Home Sports Talk
Options

No wonder Perkdog's avatar has gone incognito

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 9, 2019 10:07PM in Sports Talk

Another Patriots scandal. :#

More details continue to emerge on the potential Spygate 2.0 situation involving the Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots.

The latest twist involves a report revealing the Bengals have the tape Patriots employees shot, as does the NFL, which is investigating the allegation that New England was in Cleveland taping Bengals coaching signals last weekend,.

According to Dianna Russini of ESPN, a Bengals employee noted the staff of Robert Kraft shooting the team sideline for the duration of the first quarter, hence alerting the NFL. The NFL confiscated the tapes and the Bengals won’t share it publicly.

The Patriots have tagged the situation as a misunderstanding while shooting an internal documentary. They had press credentials through the Browns but never alerted the Bengals.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need more details before I defend them. Hopefully it’s just a misunderstanding, remember a few weeks ago they tried to make up some cheating story allegations when some guy was on a roof of a stadium and they were saying it was the Patriots cheating? It was nonsense so this might be too 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is hard to understand why Teams do this sort of thing, but it is probably more prevalent across the board in Professional Sports than we think or know. consider the recent allegations about the Houston Astros stealing signs in MLB, something which seems to be a honored tradition in that Sport, it is regularly talked about and has been going on since the early days.

the Patriots are behind the 8-ball on this because they've been caught doing it before. what puzzles me about it(in both Sports) is that it tends to be the best Teams who do things like this. to that end, the "cheating" isn't what makes them the best yet they are the ones who get caught doing it. I don't understand that. it seems like it is either a culture thing or an individual thing, not necessarily a particular Team thing.

RE: the icon, did you lose a bet??

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Belly obviously thinks they need an edge given the declining state of affairs with Gisele Bundchen's husband. I admire the effort... you don't win 6 SB's without exhausting every avenue... but vs. Cincy??....that's a tad bit desperate...

• Options

Good point about Cincy.

Maybe they are concerned about covering the spread.

• Options

@keets Yep I lost a bet to Darin with the Chiefs game. As far as your post regarding why the best teams get caught? Personally I think it’s because they have way more eyes on them and the NFL is sick of the Patriots. Nobody gives a crap if the worst teams in the league are doing it.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 6:28AM

Jimmy Johnson used to do the same stuff when he coached the Cowboys. He's talked about it on the Fox pregame show before. He said they used to dig through the opposing teams trash cans sometimes to look at their game plans. Jimmy even said they used to film signals when he coached Dallas. I think it's more common than we realize.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the best teams are the best teams because they cheat the best.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 10, 2019 6:19AM

I also remember, Tony Dungy said they used to do it when he coached the Colts. He said it was common.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Jimmy Johnson used to do the same stuff when he coached the Cowboys. He's talked about it on the Fox pregame show before. He said they used to dig through the opposing teams trash cans sometimes to look at their game plans. Jimmy even said they used to film signals when he coached Dallas. I think it's more common than we realize.

It’s definitely common practice but nobody cares about the teams that are irrelevant. The NFL hates the Patriots so they are all over them, much more than the other teams

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perkdog had stated in an earlier post that he moved to Kansas City this past weekend and therefore decided to become a Chiefs fan.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Perkdog had stated in an earlier post that he moved to Kansas City this past weekend and therefore decided to become a Chiefs fan.

I’m a habitual liar 😂😂😂

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    it is hard to understand why Teams do this sort of thing, but it is probably more prevalent across the board in Professional Sports than we think or know. consider the recent allegations about the Houston Astros stealing signs in MLB, something which seems to be a honored tradition in that Sport, it is regularly talked about and has been going on since the early days.

the Patriots are behind the 8-ball on this because they've been caught doing it before. what puzzles me about it(in both Sports) is that it tends to be the best Teams who do things like this. to that end, the "cheating" isn't what makes them the best yet they are the ones who get caught doing it. I don't understand that. it seems like it is either a culture thing or an individual thing, not necessarily a particular Team thing.

RE: the icon, did you lose a bet??

As far as Houston goes...….maybe that is WHY they were as good as they were. It's a tremendous advantage for the hitter knowing what pitch is coming. And stealing sings like this HAS NOT been going on forever.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

As far as Houston goes...….maybe that is WHY they were as good as they were. It's a tremendous advantage for the hitter knowing what pitch is coming. And stealing sings like this HAS NOT been going on forever.

You are again wrong. 1951 Giants. I'll wager that was before almost every member here was born, so "forever" is correct.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/29/51-giants-come-clean-admit-to-sign-stealing-scheme/

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You are again wrong. 1951 Giants. I'll wager that was before almost every member here was born, so "forever" is correct.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/29/51-giants-come-clean-admit-to-sign-stealing-scheme/

I think Jon means stealing and transmitting signs in such a high tech fashion. Well except for banging the side of a metal shelf with a bat.

That part was awesome.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I think Jon means stealing and transmitting signs in such a high tech fashion. Well except for banging the side of a metal shelf with a bat.

That part was awesome.

Did you read the article? Seems pretty high tech to me, especially for 19freaking51!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Joe again you misquoted me. My point was that this way has not been going on forever. This was in response to someone saying that sign stealing was part of the game and has been going on forever. Stealing signs from a runner on 2nd base or picking up something from the dugout indeed has been going on forever. Using glasses from somewhere from centerfield and then sending a message to the dugout HAS NOT been going on forever. The fact that it happened in 1951 does not make it normal or right.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

More likely it had to do with their own pitching staff.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

He didn't realize there were two and went to the wrong one ........ thats what I heard , not from steve someone else

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

And stealing sings(signs) like this HAS NOT been going on forever.

Jon, stealing signs in the fashion mentioned, from somewhere in the outfield/centerfield, has been a common occurrence for a long, long time. ever since I was old enough to follow Baseball, the early 1960's, it has been tried, caught and talked about. the fact that you are unaware of that or that it isn't in the News all the time doesn't really matter. it's been going on for a long time and continues to this day.

--- for the record, read what I posted, I did not say forever --- "seems to be a honored tradition in that Sport, it is regularly talked about and has been going on since the early days" is what I said, though you may infer what you choose.

if you want to split hairs and say it hasn't been happening "forever" as it currently happens, I would say that since the inception of the electronic devices we have today into modern society, they have been used for this purpose. Old School was with binoculars and either a telephone or walkie-talkie.

please don't argue the point, it happened. B)

• Options

Well, if anyone should be stealing signals, it should be the Cincinnati Kittens. They continue to disappoint me year after year.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Joe again you misquoted me. My point was that this way has not been going on forever. This was in response to someone saying that sign stealing was part of the game and has been going on forever. Stealing signs from a runner on 2nd base or picking up something from the dugout indeed has been going on forever. Using glasses from somewhere from centerfield and then sending a message to the dugout HAS NOT been going on forever. The fact that it happened in 1951 does not make it normal or right.

Misquoted?

No, the entire debate revolves around ILLEGALLY stealing signs the way the Astros have been accused of doing, and was done_ at least_ as far back as 1951. I would say that qualifies as "forever" maybe not literally, but it works for this discussion. To be completely accurate "for at least 68 years" would have been more accurate.

It is not illegal for a runner on 2nd to "steal" signs, or "picking something up from the dugout", so that isn't part of the discussion.

The other part of the debate is what should be done about it. MLB has NEVER punished any team for ILLEGALLY stealing signs, so I doubt that Houston will be punished very harshly, if at all.

To be clear, I do not think it's OK for a team to ILLEGALLY steal signs, and if the Astros did it, they should be punished in some way. Vacating their WS victory would be rather insane though.

• Options

P.S.

The term "forever" was yours, the original quote was "early days".

• Options

I Want my Pats avatar back 🥺

• Options

@perkdog said:

Paul you're stronger than me.

Took you until Tuesday afternoon to finally break down after losing the avatar bet.

When i lost the avatar bet on the Eagles, I broke down late Sunday night just a few hours after the game. Now i'm breaking down again just thinking about it. 😢

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

what befuddles me most is why anyone would tape the Bengals doing anything, ever

it would be like me peeping into bronco's bedroom window -- some things you just can't unsee and are muchhhh better off left alone

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    what befuddles me most is why anyone would tape the Bengals doing anything, ever

it would be like me peeping into bronco's bedroom window -- some things you just can't unsee and are muchhhh better off left alone

Maybe this is why the Pats are not great , the Bengals are rubbing off on them?

On a serious note , if it turns out this is cheating then everyone needs to stop blaming Tom for deflategate , Bill is the sleazy one

• Options

@perkdog said:

So how long in purgatory?

• Options

Bill is the tiger woods of NFL coaches

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Till Sunday 😩

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Maybe this is why the Pats are not great , the Bengals are rubbing off on them?

On a serious note , if it turns out this is cheating then everyone needs to stop blaming Tom for deflategate , Bill is the sleazy one

Brady has nothing to do with any filming nonsense

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Paul you're stronger than me.

Took you until Tuesday afternoon to finally break down after losing the avatar bet.

When i lost the avatar bet on the Eagles, I broke down late Sunday night just a few hours after the game. Now i'm breaking down again just thinking about it. 😢

I know you can relate, it’s terrible 😩

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Till Sunday 😩

The days will go by quick. And don't think about the new avatar being on all 20,000 of your previous posts. :*

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Till Sunday 😩

The days will go by quick. And don't think about the new avatar being on all 20,000 of your previous posts. :*

I thought about that already!! 🤬

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Till Sunday 😩

But come Sunday all 20,000 will go back to normal! :)

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 5:49PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Till Sunday 😩

But come Sunday all 20,000 will go back to normal! :)

Not if someone convinces Heather locking Perk's avatar, would be a good lesson to teach others not to gamble. :p

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    P.S.

Joe & keets.......I stand corrected. I did not realize this type of stealing signs has been going on all this time. Of course in 1951 I was only 4 and did not keep up with such things. I guess since it has been going on and the other teams have not been punished.......it would not be right to punish Houston. Although it lessons my respect for them greatly..

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Bill is the Patrick Reed of NFL coaches

FIFY

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Bill is the Patrick Reed of NFL coaches

FIFY

POTD

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stealing signs has been going on since the dead ball era, or when Dimeman was last in school..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    P.S.

Joe & keets.......I stand corrected. I did not realize this type of stealing signs has been going on all this time. Of course in 1951 I was only 4 and did not keep up with such things. I guess since it has been going on and the other teams have not been punished.......it would not be right to punish Houston. Although it lessons my respect for them greatly..

You are even older than me! 10 YEARS!

I do think some punishment is in order if it turns out they cheated.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

perkdog's avatar looks amazing!
    I've had many forum members' (2 or 3 thousand) comment to me that they have
    a new found respect for perk because of the greatness of his avatar. They realize the
    Chiefs and Mahomes will be the face of the NFL for many years to come and salute perkdog
    for his vision in replacing the old, tired, Patriots logo with the Chiefs logo.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    a new found respect for perk because of the greatness of his avatar. They realize the
    Chiefs and Mahomes will be the face of the NFL for many years to come and salute perkdog

>

This has to be given strong consideration for "Smack Post of the Year." :)

• Options

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

>

It’s officially THE Smack post of the year 😒

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bengals wanted that tape so that they could figure out what their plays were :#

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

>

It’s officially THE Smack post of the year 😒

Whoever said that piling on to somebody's lost avatar bet misery couldn't be fun? B)

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    The Bengals wanted that tape so that they could figure out what their plays were :#

Now that's funny. :D

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a lifelong fan of the Patriots, and closely following them throughout this two decade run of excellence, I am going to reserve judgement until I get all of the facts. I could defend the Patriots based on what I know so far, but I do not want to do so. I'd rather let everything fall where it may.

I am hoping that this series of events is the kick in the butt the team needs to get that seventh SB.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I need more details before I defend them. Hopefully it’s just a misunderstanding, remember a few weeks ago they tried to make up some cheating story allegations when some guy was on a roof of a stadium and they were saying it was the Patriots cheating? It was nonsense so this might be too 🤷‍♂️

My feelings exactly.

• Options

Recent picture of Perkdog, wandering the streets of Boston mumbling to himself, "I've lost my avatar, I've lost my avatar, I've lost my avatar..."

• Options

😂😂😂