Options

speaking of backing the truck up....

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stephen Strasburg just inked a 1/4 billion deal with the Nats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pWftF3CAOk

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess Strasburg will be as rich as A.G. Pennypacker now.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the march towards an eventual Billion Dollar Contract continues

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This wasn't the first 1/4 Billion Dollar contract. Arod got one years ago. 10 years @ 25M a year from the Yankee's. :oB)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

true aces are exceedingly rare in todays game. They can expect to be paid well

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

True, but so many things can happen.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 8:09AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@craig44 said:

Can't play scared. Plus, these large contracts are insured to some sig. degree.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

The value of this rare breed of pitcher is really seen during the postseason, when a true ace can take over a short series.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@craig44 said:

I wonder what the terms of such a policy look like. Stasburb was out after a season with TJ surgery so I can't image a policy would be pennies a day. So maybe and additional 15% to insured that his healthy enough to fulfill his contract. That would be another $40,000,000. And what if he is uninjured but just sucks after a couple years?

I probably mentioned this before on the forum. Our family moved across town 54 years ago (yikes.) As we were packing all the stuff a friend ran over to tell me that Denny McClain was moving in a couple streets down. The houses were nice but modest and the 3 bedroom ranch probably in the $15,000 range.

Strasburg will be paid a million dollars a start. He can buy his own neighborhood.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

true aces are exceedingly rare in todays game.

that statement is true which makes this all the more remarkable. Starsburg has had a few good seasons but on average over 10 years he hasn't proven to be an ace. above all stats for a starting pitcher who would be an ace, the workhorse who can be a reliable "stopper" that takes the ball every 5th day and chews up innings, I would think innings pitched is the biggest one.

Strasburg isn't that guy, he seems to struggle to put up even 175 innings. I think he was the beneficiary of a good season with a good Team that won the WS and that over the course of this contract the Nats will learn the meaning of regret, but we shall see.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@softparade said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@craig44 said:

I wonder what the terms of such a policy look like. Stasburb was out after a season with TJ surgery so I can't image a policy would be pennies a day. So maybe and additional 15% to insured that his healthy enough to fulfill his contract. That would be another $40,000,000. And what if he is uninjured but just sucks after a couple years?

I probably mentioned this before on the forum. Our family moved across town 54 years ago (yikes.) As we were packing all the stuff a friend ran over to tell me that Denny McClain was moving in a couple streets down. The houses were nice but modest and the 3 bedroom ranch probably in the $15,000 range.

Strasburg will be paid a million dollars a start. He can buy his own neighborhood.

To me it is stupid. To give a 9 year contract to a pitcher who has already pitched 10 years is BEYOND stupid!