Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

WTB: Coin or medal from Venice

I visited Venice over the summer and would love to get an older (pre-1800) coin from Venice. I don't know much about foreign coin but would like an interesting design and under $200. I don't know what is out there or what to expect but the larger the better.

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Don't have any for sale myself, but the iconic coin of Venice is the grosso featuring Jesus on one side and the doge with St Mark on the other. Here's Wikipedia. Here's an example for sale on Vcoins:

This design was used for hundreds of years at the peak of Venice's power and was imitated by others. They often come somewhat rough, but you can find a nice example for $100 +/- with a little patience. They're roughly 19-21mm. Bigger coins didn't really come around until the later years and are very expensive. With a higher budget ($500+) you could find a nice gold ducat - the other iconic coin of Venice used heavily for hundreds of years.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spoon said:
    Don't have any for sale myself, but the iconic coin of Venice is the grosso featuring Jesus on one side and the doge with St Mark on the other. Here's Wikipedia. Here's an example for sale on Vcoins:

This design was used for hundreds of years at the peak of Venice's power and was imitated by others. They often come somewhat rough, but you can find a nice example for $100 +/- with a little patience. They're roughly 19-21mm. Bigger coins didn't really come around until the later years and are very expensive. With a higher budget ($500+) you could find a nice gold ducat - the other iconic coin of Venice used heavily for hundreds of years.

Thanks! I will look into finding one of those. Those gold ducats look amazing, I may just end up busting the budget and getting one.