Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Registry sets have disappeared.

goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the newly created PCGS CAC Registry Sets have vanished. What happened?

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

369 comments on the "They say they will never do it" thread may have had something to do with it...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice those in my inventory with a CAC sticker no longer say so.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a quick experiment.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    My guess is something happened to the electronic link between the PCGS database of Cert numbers and the CAC database of PCGS Certs with CAC’s. Hopefully they’ll work it out when they’re back to work Monday or Tuesday. For those of you that are experiencing “schadenfreude” at this temporary kink, keep on dreaming. The impact of CAC on the coin market is here to stay (and grow).

Great comment! Spot on.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I have fresh spinach in the fridge that has lasted longer than this :o

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went a little too far down the rabbit hole IMO

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    369 comments on the "They say they will never do it" thread may have had something to do with it...

WS

That was a fun thread. I'm surprised it was locked. :/

• Options

@winesteven said:
    My guess is something happened to the electronic link between the PCGS database of Cert numbers and the CAC database of PCGS Certs with CAC’s. Hopefully they’ll work it out when they’re back to work Monday or Tuesday. For those of you that are experiencing “schadenfreude” at this temporary kink, keep on dreaming. The impact of CAC on the coin market is here to stay (and grow).

You're probably right as the categories are still there even if the sets disappeared. If there were plans to drop the sets, then the headings/categories would be gone as well.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Intentional forum changes usually don’t happen on a weekend. Hobby for us, job for them.

:)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@winesteven said:

Ooooh...... so sensitive!

Actually, he was just making a well founded, educated guess and observation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@winesteven said:

Ooooh...... so sensitive!

Actually, he was just making a well founded, educated guess and observation.

Ooooh..... so defensive!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too early to speculate whether this was intentional or not.

We will know soon enough.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 8:01PM

I would not rule anything out as the PCGS/CAC thread was suddenly closed recently, and seemingly without too much rancor between forum members. The PCGS/CAC registries make sense to many in this hobby, and perhaps more than some of the other inane categories in the registries. The registries are intended to serve ALL of the collector base as I would understand, rather than an endorsement of other grading concepts.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I would not rule anything out as the PCGS/CAC thread was suddenly closed recently, and seemingly without too much rancor between forum members.

I was intrigued and surprised by this as well. Was a reason ever provided even in passing in another thread as sometimes occurs?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some collectors that have a registry sets probably objected as they don't CAC nor should they, it's a PCGS registry set, afterall.

bob :)
    PS: I don't care one way or the other.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    The PCGS/CAC registries make sense to many in this hobby, and perhaps more than some of the other inane categories in the registries. The registries are intended to serve ALL of the collector base as I would understand, rather than an endorsement of other grading concepts.

The promotion of a PCGS coin with a sticker as a "premier" coin caused a lot of confusion. For twenty years I always thought that a PCGS graded coin already carried that distinction.

I believe that the intentions were the best, but to capitulate to the competition did not seem wise.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    The PCGS/CAC registries make sense to many in this hobby, and perhaps more than some of the other inane categories in the registries. The registries are intended to serve ALL of the collector base as I would understand, rather than an endorsement of other grading concepts.

The promotion of a PCGS coin with a sticker as a "premier" coin caused a lot of confusion. For twenty years I always thought that a PCGS graded coin already carried that distinction.

I believe that the intentions were the best, but to capitulate to the competition did not seem wise.

They aren't really competition. CAC does not authenticate and certify nor provide any gurantees.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

They aren't really competition. CAC does not authenticate and certify nor provide any gurantees.

Do you think about what you post or merely robo respond to thoughts in opposition to your ideas?

Of course they are REALLY COMPETITION.

(Hey that Cap lock thing is fun)

At least from 2002 when I bought my first slabbed coin until 2007 or so, PCGS was the ne plus ultra of coin grading. I still believe that though we have many doubters here on the CU forum which seems unfortunate.

CAC was created by Sperber and TDN and a small group of other dealer investors that we not satisfied with the competency of PCGS grading a bit over a decade ago.

PCGS was no longer considered good enough as a stand alone evaluator of grade and to achieve the highest value at resale, a cac blessing became mandatory.

That is competition.

And for the record, I have never submitted a coin I owned to cac though i have bought and sold coins with the sticker on them. At a customers request, i did have a PCGS high relief saint sent by the auctioneer to cac. It failed.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

Do you think about what you post or merely robo respond to thoughts in opposition to your ideas?

At least from 2002 when I bought my first slabbed coin until 2007 or so, PCGS was the ne plus ultra of coin grading. I still believe that though we have many doubters here on the CU forum which seems unfortunate.

CAC was created by Sperber and TDN and a small group of other dealer investors that we not satisfied with the competency of PCGS grading a bit over a decade ago.

PCGS was no longer considered good enough as a stand alone evaluator of grade and to achieve the highest value at resale, a cac blessing became mandatory.

That is competition.

And for the record, I have never submitted a coin I owned to cac though i have bought and sold coins with the sticker on them. At a customers request, i did have a PCGS high relief saint sent by the auctioneer to cac. It failed.

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

That is competition.

Ludicrous. They don't compete. They don't supply the same service. Is an auto paint shop a competitor of General Motors? A fresh coat of paint may sell the car for more, but painting the car isn't theA same as building the car.

CAC doesn't slab and PCGS doesn't sticker. You are throwing market value into the mix. I could tone a coin and make it worth more, that doesn't make my liver of sulfur a competitor of PCGS.

An appraiser is not a competitor of a realtor even if they are looking at the same house.

The services provided are different: PCGS authenticates. PCGS grades. PCGS puts in a protective case and takes digital images. PCGS provides a DOLLAR GUARANTEE on their opinion.

CAC does not authenticate. CAC grades the grade, it doesn't even really regrade the coin. If CAC thinks a coin is overgraded, they don't put a turd on the coin instead of a bean. They will verify some of the coins as being A/B quality or (gold bean) being undergraded). CAC does not provide protection or photographs or ANY DOLLAR GUARANTEE at all.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

That is competition.

If you'd like a shorter answer:

NGC is a competitor of PCGS because you can decide whether to send your coin to NGC or PCGS.

CAC is NOT a competitor of PCGS because you can't choose whether to send your coin to CAC or PCGS. You can only choose to send your already PCGS'ed coin to CAC.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

That is competition.

NGC is a competitor of PCGS because you can decide whether to send your coin to NGC or PCGS.

CAC is NOT a competitor of PCGS because you can't choose whether to send your coin to CAC or PCGS. You can only choose to send your already PCGS'ed coin to CAC.

I certainly could debate if I want to send my coin to PCGS for a potential upgrade or to CAC for a sticker.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Let me try it another way, JM.

The plastic holder and paper label are the only tangible part of the PCGS product, just as the sticker is for cac. One is buying an opinion and in the case of PCGS, a guarantee, which also got muddied with the recent registry announcement.

The opinion of PCGS was diminished by the advent and market acceptance of CAC. Now one keeps hearing about the elusive "C" coin that gives apologists an out that cac does not necessarily determine incompetence on the part of the PCGS expert graders. But what do we do with the PCGS plus graded coins that fail to earn the coveted bean?

PCGS has deemed those coins to be "A" for the grade, yet JA sees them as "C" or less.

I have purchased common PCGS 66+ Saints at GC in the $2200-$2400 range that had no sticker. Examples with a green sticker command prices in the $4000-4500 range.

That is a glaring example of cac dominating the grading opinion. Just wish they would provide a fail to sticker data base to end the guessing and multiple submissions.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

That is competition.

I certainly could debate if I want to send my coin to PCGS for a potential upgrade or to CAC for a sticker.

Sure. But try to send your raw coin to CAC.

Even if you make that choice, you aren't choosing between the two companies for the same service. Reconsideration is different from a "second opinion"

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I still have never bought, sold, not owned a CAC coin.

Life is so simple :):):)

If CAC stickered errors tomorrow, I bet you wouldn't get out of the week without buying one..

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If CAC stickered errors tomorrow, I bet you wouldn't get out of the week without buying one..

Well ya, I would buy them if they were in the market. I would never submit them even tho every one would qualify because of insane eye appeal.

LOL. Now you're spreading disinformation. The sticker isn't about eye appeal, at least not solely. It's about the grade.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 10:29AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Well ya, I would buy them if they were in the market. I would never submit them even tho every one would qualify because of insane eye appeal.

LOL. Now you're spreading disinformation. The sticker isn't about eye appeal, at least not solely. It's about the grade.

Sorry, I know nothing about CAC and honestly could care less.

Eye appeal in error coins trumps grade every single time.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 10:46AM

They may not be in competition, but they are certainly a negative to the reputation of PCGS. Ya know, you said 1 thing that really stands out! CAC doe not provide any guarantee! To me that says it all!

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the mods will allow this thread to get to 369 replies also >:)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

100% agree.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually thing a certain Lady is asleep! B)

@coinbuf said:
    I wonder if the mods will allow this thread to get to 369 replies also >:)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

100% agree.

You should see the MS 62's I got in today, Just insane!!!

• Options

Hello all,

We are aware of this issue and we are working to correct is as quickly as possible.

Thank you to the Set Registry members who reached out to our Set Registry team, along with the forum users, for bringing this issue to our attention.

Should you experience any issues with your Registry, or if you see any issues with the Registry in general, please feel free to reach out to our Set Registry team at 1-800-447-8848 or SetRegistryCollectors.com.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    I would wager for all the collectors who state “all my coins in my collection would CAC” have never sent a submission to CAC.

Quote of the week!

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it is just taking longer to move the old registry sets to the back of the bus than they anticipated.

Maybe. ;)

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    Notice those in my inventory with a CAC sticker no longer say so.

It shows up in mine.

This discussion has been closed.