Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need Spanish colonial reference book

Can anyone recommend a good reference book or books on Spanish colonial silver?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

For starters, get the new edition of Calico. Should be available right about now.

aureo.com/en/catalogo

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Andy, but doesn’t this just cover Spain?
    I want something on Spanish colonial Latin America.> @MrEureka said:

For starters, get the new edition of Calico. Should be available right about now.

aureo.com/en/catalogo

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

@Yorkshireman said:

aureo.com/en/catalogo

It covers all of the Spanish mints, including those in the New World.

Andy Lustig

@MrEureka said:

@Yorkshireman said:

aureo.com/en/catalogo

It covers all of the Spanish mints, including those in the New World.

Thanks, Andy

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tauler & Fau also published several books on the subject including Peninsular, European, and American mints:

https://www.tauleryfau.com/en/auction/17072019-books-1641

The only relevant book on the T&F list is the book on Lima & Potosi, and there’s not much to be had in there beyond mintage figures and some history.

Andy Lustig

For Colombia, this would be worthwhile.

Andy Lustig

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am actually looking for the same thing...specifically for Spanish Colonial Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, etc. I have been trying to find a copy of The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America by Gilboy that was not insanely expensive...or even a PDF, but not had any luck. Does the new edition of Calico cover essentially the same thing? If so, I will have to pick up a copy. I have a copy of Resplandores and it is one of the best references I have found...but sadly only for Cap and Rays.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad is also finishing up a book on Mexico City portrait varieties that should be released next year.

Thanks @MrEureka ! I will look for those. The worst part of most of these books isn't even the crazy prices...it's just that you can't find them for sale...let along any dream of a PDF version lol :smile:

@Senator32 said:
    Thanks @MrEureka ! I will look for those. The worst part of most of these books isn't even the crazy prices...it's just that you can't find them for sale...let along any dream of a PDF version lol :smile:

The three I posted should be easy enough to find.

Andy Lustig

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:
    I am actually looking for the same thing...specifically for Spanish Colonial Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, etc. I have been trying to find a copy of The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America by Gilboy that was not insanely expensive...or even a PDF, but not had any luck. Does the new edition of Calico cover essentially the same thing? If so, I will have to pick up a copy. I have a copy of Resplandores and it is one of the best references I have found...but sadly only for Cap and Rays.

@Senator32 there’s a reason people are paying those prices for that book.

As for a PDF, the book is still under copyright, so it would be a bootleg copy.

My thread has certainly turned into a discussion among the heavy weights on the subject.

@pruebas said:

100% agree. I just wish the copyright owners would print more and/or make a digital copy for sale.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

I own both of Brad's books. He did a first rate job on both but the second to me is noticeably better than the first. The second covering the secondary mints has more information, such as mintage data that I have never seen elsewhere.

Also, Brad supports his rarity estimates with a survey, something which Gilboy either did not do or if he did, didn't document. I'd place a lot more reliance on Yonaka's rarity estimates than Gilboys. His rarity estimates are a lot more consistent with my observations also. However, I don't know if he only included examples he personally observed or had photos, as he appears to have excluded some coins included in the TPG population data.

I also suggested in the next edition that he attempt to include commentary on strike quality, counterfeit detection and quality distribution. Most of the plate coins are of low to very low quality but his survey data doesn't specify whether he had access to better examples. For example, I sent him an image of the 1755 Peru NGC MS-65 1/2R JM variety (which I own) but he didn't use it, opting for a lower quality coin instead.

I own five or six of the plate coins in the second book.

@pruebas said:

@Senator32 said:

@Senator32 there’s a reason people are paying those prices for that book.

As for a PDF, the book is still under copyright, so it would be a bootleg copy.

I paid the issue price of $65 back in 2002 from someone on eBay. Understand the print run was 500 copies and assume that many collectors who do not collect this coinage also want it.

Gilboy's book is great on the historical and technical background of the series. However, I find Brad's book on the subsidiary mints a lot more useful because it gives collectors a much better idea of what is or might be available (very little) and their prospects of completing a series (very poor), if that's what they choose to do as I have. Gilboy's rating system is somewhat confusing and it certainly isn't accurate.

@WCC said:

I contacted Brad and got on a waiting list for all his books or any new prints. Fingers crossed.

@Senator32 said:

@WCC said:

I contacted Brad and got on a waiting list for all his books or any new prints. Fingers crossed.

I wasn't aware both would sell out, especially the second one since I wouldn't expect very many to collect those mints. I have two of the Mexico book if you can't get one later, both new. I ordered the second copy thinking the other book was available and received a duplicate instead. Feel free to contact me later if you choose.

Thanks @WCC if Brad can't find a copy, I will be in touch :smile: