Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Peso guys: What are your thoughts about the 1898 restrikes?

Made in Mexico and San Francisco (though I believe none were released) for the Chinese Nationalists battling Mao. I know @WillieBoyd2 has written about them.

Opinion one way or the other? Are they part of your collection? Any interest in them?

Picked this one up earlier this week for melt + $2. How could you not?

...at least I think it's a restrike ;)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's beautiful.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have both the original and the restrike. I like them a lot.

And yes, it is a restrike.

edited December 7, 2019 11:51AM

Restrike on top, original below.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1949 Mexico peso restrikes are an interesting numismatic story from the historical standpoint.

I have several Mexico 1898 pesos, both original and restrike, including one graded by our host PCGS as MS-62:

Mexico 1898 peso (1949 restrike) PCGS MS-62

There is more about these coins on my website (in the signature line).

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this recently having no clue it was a restrike because I sometimes don't pay attention to details. I'm probably going to just sell it because I'd rather not have a restrike as my type example.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 8:22PM

I think they are very interesting. I read something about them a few months ago. They have become very expensive. :(

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design and have a few lower grade original but if I was adding silver that is a real nice looking coin restrike

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this example in my World Coins Manufactured at United States Mints set --

Jeff

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I think they are very interesting. I read something about them a few months ago. They have become very expensive. :(

Why have they become expensive?

What’s so special ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Why have they become expensive?

I don't know, but I've noticed that too. Not exactly "expensive".. you can usually find a MS slabbed for $150 give or take, unslabbed closer to $100.. but 10 years ago it seems they were relatively plentiful and more in the $60 ballpark when they weren't just near melt. I was hoping to add one to my collection, but that's a bit steep these days.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    I have this example in my World Coins Manufactured at United States Mints set --

Jeff

Love the color on your example, Jeff.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have one (the restrike) in my World Coins Manufactured at United States Mints set --

MS66

Interesting call to keep it in the set composite for "US minted" foreign coins. Most sources agree that the pieces manufactured in San Francisco never made it out of the mint, thus all of the restrikes available today were from Mexico City. However, they are technically indistinguishable, so I like to think that a handful did make it out of San Francisco somehow, and that this is one of them ;) .