Home U.S. Coin Forum

It is truly a disgrace what's going on with eBay, are you having the same issue? Get ready!

A few weeks ago I posted a number of items, including 3 coins, (three separate auctions). Within a day or so the listings were removed and I received this email: Your listing was removed. Your listing isn't following policy: Replica coins and currency policy . Replica currency that follows our rules can be listed on eBay , but replica coins and counterfeit currency are not allowed.

Mind you, I bought all these coins through eBay to start out with. Why sell them? To upgrade my collection.

So I called, (every day, this past week), and spoke to a number of agents. Each, without even consulting a supervisor, would come up with their own interpretation-obviously defending eBay's new policy. One had the audacity to say, "you have to call us each time you list something so we can give you permission."

One of the coins was authenticated by SGC, (1931s Lincoln cent). Second coin a 1914d cent, and the third, a $2.5 Quarter Eagle, (Indian Head), purchased from a coin dealer.

So, you are not supposed to get every coin authenticated by a company of their choice. Otherwise it's a fake....So what does this mean in my view?

First, they are putting all companies that make albums, like Dansco, out of business. Why, because graded coins come slabbed. They will no longer fit in the album.

2nd. If they claim all coins I purchased originally are fakes, then I must return them. Unfortunately two of the coins will need to go back to my collection as too much time has passed and I can no longer access the original listing. But I am in the process of returning the Indian Head. And while I have no issues with the coin or with the dealer that sold the coin to me, I want eBay to realize that whatever decisions they make will have consequences.

I did provide this example to them: Suppose you go to the Bank and get $2 worth of pennies, (brand new ones). A collector in England wants to purchase one. With their new rules, a seller must get it authenticated, ($12-$18 I'm guessing), waste weeks in the process, and now sell that same penny for what, $30? crazy....But I'm being told this is happening.

Guess I will not be selling coins in eBay any longer

Comments

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    There must be something else going on, because there are literally hundreds of thousands raw coins for sale on ebay.

Agreed. I sell almost exclusively raw coins and have never had any problem like you have described.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    I’ve stopped selling on eBay just to expensive

And how is this related to the OP's problem?

Rather than complain about eBay, we might first start by trying to ascertain whether the coins you have bought are actually altered or counterfeit coins. eBay is pretty sure they are based on the testimony of experts (some of whom are on this board).

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

what was the title of your auctions?

@jerseycat101 said:

The title of ID number?

The auctions have been pulled so they can't be seen. Clearly eBay feels the coins are fakes and the OP does not, so he didn't list them as replicas.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos of the coins could be posted here for input.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't sell my coins but don't they have a rule about listing grades of coins if they are not graded from a reputable TPG? Not saying this is what he did but if he did?

@bsshog40 said:
    I don't sell my coins but don't they have a rule about listing grades of coins if they are not graded from a reputable TPG? Not saying this is what he did but if he did?

You can list a coin grade but not a numerical grade. But that's not what the OP said. He received notification that he was selling a replica or counterfeit.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bsshog40 said:

You can list a coin grade but not a numerical grade. But that's not what the OP said. He received notification that he was selling a replica or counterfeit.

And I thought I read it clearly. Lol Thanks!

• @jabba said:

Are you listing with any other auction houses! I am looking for alternatives.

• @mustangmanbob said:
    There must be something else going on, because there are literally hundreds of thousands raw coins for sale on ebay.

Can you post the title and description of what you listed on ebay, and it might give a clue.

Are you stating a grade on an uncertified coin?

No as I am no expert. I was told by the agent that they're calling everyone about this. Perhaps they hired more people.

@Alshouse said:

@jabba said:

Are you listing with any other auction houses! I am looking for alternatives.

Nobody wants counterfeits. We should explore that aspect. Ebay doesn't just randomly end auctions or harass people. They have a reason for believing your coins are a problem

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Counterfits? :o

@Alshouse said:

A few weeks ago I posted a number of items, including 3 coins, (three separate auctions). Within a day or so the listings were removed and I received this email: Your listing was removed. Your listing isn't following policy: Replica coins and currency policy . Replica currency that follows our rules can be listed on eBay , but replica coins and counterfeit currency are not allowed.

Post the images here that you included in your eBay auctions and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback.

• @jerseycat101 said:

1914d Key Lincoln Cent Graded Certified NR

ON the body of the auction I submitted the photo, the name of the company that graded the coin and the grade which is a G4

• @jmlanzaf said:

@jerseycat101 said:

The title of ID number?

The auctions have been pulled so they can't be seen. Clearly eBay feels the coins are fakes and the OP does not, so he didn't list them as replicas.

@Alshouse said:
    ON the body of the auction I submitted the photo, the name of the company that graded the coin and the grade which is a G4

eBay policy:

Listings for ungraded coins and currency or raw currency:
    Must not include a non-approved grading company, numeric grade or estimated value anywhere in the listing and can't show an image of the item in a graded holder if the image shows a grade.

• These were 2 of the coins removed.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 8:03PM

@Alshouse said:

@jerseycat101 said:

Rules have not changed for a long time. If you listed a coin with SGC as the grading company you violated their rules for grading companies. They only recognize and allow the most reputable companies to be named in a listing.

If they yanked raw coins as counterfeits, more than likely they were reported by one or more ebay users. Show us pics of the coins. Your buying them on ebay does not rule out that they are in fact counterfeit.

Wouldn't hurt for you to review ebay's coin and currency policy. It is designed to protect buyers, and I for one welcome that.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Useless thread without enough informaton/photos to allow us to give a reasonable explanation as to what you are doing wrong.

Merry Christmas!

bob :)
    PS: I sell almost all raw coins and have only once had one removed by ebay (my fault too) as I posted a numerical grade and the coin was not slabbed by a big 4 company (NCS slab).

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cover the grade for the photo and list the coin as raw. You can state in the body of the listing that it was graded by NTC, but don’t post a grade. Maybe that will work.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICG should be ok.

• I learned earlier today that NTC is not an approved company. The coins need to be authenticated by companies of their choice.
    Not sure about the other coin.

The third coin is a $2.5 gold Quarter Eagle - which I returned today to the dealer that sold it to me originally.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alshouse said:

@jerseycat101 said:

As the holder was not PCGS, NGC, Anacs or ICG, the numeric grade may have been what got the listing bounced.

Jmlanzaf is making assumptions that your coins are either altered or not genuine and that is jumping the gun. Offshore customer service is at best slipshod. When you call back ask if you cam speak to someone in the US.

• It is a fact that everyone I spoke to had an accent, (oriental). Not sure if that does automatically means they live abroad. Had not considered that.

@Alshouse said:
    It is a fact that everyone I spoke to had an accent, (oriental). Not sure if that does automatically means they live abroad. Had not considered that.

You might consider that not following eBay policy had something to do with what you experienced.

Just sayin'.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@Alshouse said:
    It is a fact that everyone I spoke to had an accent, (oriental). Not sure if that does automatically means they live abroad. Had not considered that.

You might consider that not following eBay policy had something to do with what you experienced.

Just sayin'.

True but he needs to find out what the issue is with Ebay before he can correct the problem. If their answers are inconsistent, he will still have problems selling the coins on that site.

@Coinstartled said:
    True but he needs to find out what the issue is with Ebay before he can correct the problem.

If the picture he posted here is what he included in his listing on eBay, I think the problem has been identified.

@Coinstartled said:

@Alshouse said:

@jerseycat101 said:

As the holder was not PCGS, NGC, Anacs or ICG, the numeric grade may have been what got the listing bounced.

Jmlanzaf is making assumptions that your coins are either altered or not genuine and that is jumping the gun. Offshore customer service is at best slipshod. When you call back ask if you cam speak to someone in the US.

why don't you read the OP where he says they told him he violated the policy on replicas. My only assumption was that the OP accurately reported the incident.

Since we can't see the listings everything is speculation. I will take a WAG at it. The gold coin listed was a counterfeit and was reported as such to ebay. Once ebay started looking at the listings they found a policy violation with the other listings. Even though the coin has been sent back to the selling dealer the OP should still have the ebay listing photo, it might help if we could see that.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Since we can't see the listings everything is speculation. I will take a WAG at it. The gold coin listed was a counterfeit and was reported as such to ebay. Once ebay started looking at the listings they found a policy violation with the other listings. Even though the coin has been sent back to the selling dealer the OP should still have the ebay listing photo, it might help if we could see that.

This is very likely, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

That’s the eBay number corresponding to the coin.

That number doesn't show up as good. Do you have the photo of the gold coin you used to list the coin with?

• 1-238501018836

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 10:16PM

You can drag and drop photos from your computer into the text entry area here.
    Woops, just noticed you already posted pictures- disregard.

Collector, occasional seller

Ebay numbers do not have a hyphen. Both numbers don't show up as good 238501018836 & 1238501018836
    If this is the listing you bought it from, that is not photo I want to see.

Do you have the photo of the gold coin you used for your listing?

• No, I returned the coin. The number I posted is the reference number eBay gave me.

Whatever, it’s done with.

• RETURN LABEL FOR $2.5 Gold Quarter Eagle Indian Head - Ex Jewelry (Random Year) SR# 1-238501018836

This is what eBay sent. Guess they’ve decided to start using dashes all of the sudden.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see a picture of the $2 1/2 gold

I understand you returned the coin. An ebay reference number for your return claim means nothing.
    You said you listed the coin on ebay, you said ebay removed the coin. Is this correct?
    In your listing for the gold coin you would have needed to upload a photo.
    You should still have a copy of it on your computer.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 11:34PM

Isn't NTC the slabbing company used by centless?

When I see those slabs on eBay, numerical grades aren't mentioned and the grade on the slab is Photoshopped out by covering the grade with a black circle. When that's done, I've even seen Gobrecht dollars get sold in NTC slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file