Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Odd Favorites

I’ve started to collect Spanish Netherlands coinage and part of the appeal is how poorly struck the majority of it is. I was curious if anyone else collected anything that most would find unappealing? I added my newest purchase.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2019 9:42PM

Not unappealing at all!

I collect the coinage of Carlos y Juana, the first coins struck in the New World at Mexico City (in the house of Cortez, actually). ~1535-~1550.

Here’s a rare one:

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - love coins with "character." It's why I like bust half dollars, too.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

I've experienced a similar thing collecting Roman coins. While coins from the Empire's golden age (1st - 2nd centuries) seem to get most of the attention, I find myself gravitating more to the chaotic 3rd and 4th centuries (they also fit my budget a little easier, lol). They may be crudely struck, and lack the life-like portraits of their predecessors, but they open a window on fascinating periods of Rome's history. Clever men like Diocletian, and Constantine the Great, left a lasting mark on the Empire, while those less fortunate (Quintillus, Valetinian II, etc.) often leave little behind but their coinage.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

Those are some beautiful coins! The history behind them is incredible!