Home Sports Talk
Options

I’m a big fan of Richard Sherman now

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2622902001 Let me first clarify here and say I absolutely understand how the “Dark skin” can be offensive to some, I truly can and have no problem with someone being offended by it, personally I wouldn’t have said this BUT the fact that an African American can pause and look at it for how it was meant to come across and hold back from being outraged and look at it from a different angle is something that people can learn from. That’s both sides of the fence too, I think in a lot of cases of logic is applied the outrage can be held back and more learning can come from it and a step in the right direction can be taken.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the game and many times literally had no idea if Lamar had the ball or not, it was a perfect storm of dark uniform, dark ball and mud as well. That’s as far as I would have gone with it but I can clearly see what this guy meant.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having read the article this thought came to mind. White pitcher in a white uniform with a white baseball in a mid Oct. snowstorm during a baseball playoff game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sherman is a true intellectual. Smart guy, and usually can’t be baited by noise like this. Doesn’t just ‘react’, like many folks. Loved having him in Seattle...always spoke his mind.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Sherman is a true intellectual. Smart guy, and usually can’t be baited by noise like this. Doesn’t just ‘react’, like many folks. Loved having him in Seattle...always spoke his mind.

Dave

High school valedictorian. Super smart and thoughtful guy. I've been a big fan, too.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 6:05AM

I watched that game from start to finish. It was a slugfest that came down to a walk off field goal for the win. It was pouring rain throughout the game. The Ravens offense was very tricky to defend. It reminded me of the Florida Gators under Tim Tebow. Great game. As far as Ryan's comments go, I can see how people would be offended by his comment, but I do commend Richard Sherman for his character. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing more of this offense in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see how defenses try to defend against it. I remember how dominant Florida was, using that type of offense.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not offended by the comments. In my view the comments were silly and bordering on ludicrous.

I've played a lot of football, including defense, obviously not as much as Ryan or Sherman. There's no way, considering the speed of the game, that skin color makes any difference in anything.

I'll try not to do a dissertation, but many times on defense on a running play, you can't see the football to the point where it makes much difference in how you properly react to the play. On defense, you're playing the player and the tendencies of the players based on their formation and the logical players who will get the football. For example you know the linemen aren't getting the football, you know if it's likely a running play, and you know based on the first second of play and the quarterback's motion who's going to get the football, and/or who's got the football.

Of course there are fakes involved such as play action passes, etc, but you are aware of that possibility and adjust your body position and placement on the field accordingly. This is basic football.

So i look at this incident not as a racist comment, but as a comment perhaps based on Ryan consuming bad clams the previous night.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm offended by these hot takes .

A game takes 3 hours to play and 32 tv networks will pay 247 people to talk about it endlessly . He probably just was told to talk about the game for the 45th time and had nothing.

Sports Talk radio is the same way now I had to stop listening the other day. Here in New England we have to be reminded every 5 minutes how awful we are for thinking the Patriots should have AB in the game and reminded that the offense not working is Brady's fault because he made faces at a rookie and hurt his feelings .

At somepoint all these a-holes need to go get real jobs , this has jumped the shark.

Its sports , just show the game and stfu , no more expert panels just broadcast the game .

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    I'm offended by these hot takes .

A game takes 3 hours to play and 32 tv networks will pay 247 people to talk about it endlessly . He probably just was told to talk about the game for the 45th time and had nothing.

Sports Talk radio is the same way now I had to stop listening the other day. Here in New England we have to be reminded every 5 minutes how awful we are for thinking the Patriots should have AB in the game and reminded that the offense not working is Brady's fault because he made faces at a rookie and hurt his feelings .

At somepoint all these a-holes need to go get real jobs , this has jumped the shark.

Its sports , just show the game and stfu , no more expert panels just broadcast the game .

Bravo on all points.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

its why ESPN is dying .

Shut up and show the game , then go away . If there is no game happening then we have lives to lead we are not up at 3 am watching some washed up 3rd stringer breaking down a play from 8 days ago.

Its too much discussion , too much criticism of things that barely matter and are over and done with regardless